New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clem said:
Hi! Lovely truck and lucky to have such a good run of careful owners.
Great pics on the ‘gram too.

Hi mate. Yep it's nice to get to see how well the truck has been cared for over the years, hopefully we will continue that. Cheers!

ozziedog said:
Lovin it either way :msn4: I’m also going back to stock after a few years down in the dumps :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,good to see you found us . :mrgreen:

Cheers. Good for you - don't get me wrong I do love a properly done slammed VW (I have a couple) but I have a thing for stock type 2s it turns out :D

Hello. Been a while since I was on a proper forum as Facebook seems to have eaten all the ones I used to frequent! Anyway, as a long time beetle owner and a few years with a t25 I’ve just got (yesterday) my first bay. A 68 Kombi. The master plan is to have a really simple camping setup, full width rock n roll bed and some sort of kitchen pod. That’s for later. For now I need help with what my dash should look like. The van is very much a project and I aim to bring her back to some semblance of her former glory! I look forward to learning more and ultimately offering advice where I can! Thanks for letting me join! Peace! [photobucket][/photobucket]

Hi and welcome Steve66. Simple is best every time in my mind too. I have a full rock a d roll bed and a large coolbox in mine, a removable ex bedside cabinet and that’s the whole shebang for me. Portable cookers work so much better than the plumbed in type and you can use them in the van or outside with their storage box doubling up as a windshield on top the little two drawer ex bedside cabinet. If it looks a little glum weather wise , I’ll take a cheapso gazebo to keep the rain out of the van slider and to cook under and that’s most of the time in the UK :shock: The other little thing about the cabinet being loose is I can place it just inside my slider on top of my spare when I’m off anywhere more than local :mrgreen: A fold up table a d stools combo and a decent camp chair complete s the set up , oh and the washing machine drum of course. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,so big welcome to you ;)

Steve66 said:
For now I need help with what my dash should look like.
I'd normally go looking in the archives of TheSamba's media resources for stuff like this (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/)

Here's a couple of examples from over there that include dashboard pics:

1.jpg

3.jpg

3.jpg

Welcome Steve, I too have a full width R&R, a buddy seat and a clip-on table that I made. I like the minimalist look, but I do lack storage. On my huge list of things to do is to make another buddy seat. Then I'll have some storage under that. When I actually get to go camping I will cook outside or in the awning. No point in fixed indoor cooker with a tin-top anyway.

Hi all. No doubt a challenging time for many so hope people doing ok.
We have a 72 crossover. First met her in Loas and befriended her then owners who were driving her from Australia to UK. Needless to say she's seen some action. We've had her since 2000 and been improving her gradually ever since. Reason I come to this group is my throttle cable snapped and on closer inspection the tube that the cable goes through at the rear needs replacing. I haven't looked with the wheels off yet and will do so but is this a straight forward re fit? I've looked on line and got the gist of it but can find no pointers re fitting this rear cable tube. Thoughts welcome. Thanks Hamish

are we talking through the fan shroud? as its a simple swap.

there are upgraded products that help with throttling that have a roller bearing on the end on dog house exit

Hi everyone!

Just bought a 68 westy about a week ago. It came with the original engine and gearbox...unattached on a wooden pallet inside the car :). Other bits such as lights, drive shafts, the dash etc were included (all unattached), but other than that the bus is pretty much a shell. There's no steering, brakes, interior, panels, nothing.
But it's not too much of an issue, as I'm planning to put the fastest Tesla motor in it anyway! (from the Model S P100D - 500+hp!)
There'll be no issues of combustion engines and maintenance will be minimal. I'm looking forward to the journey, and glad to be a new member here! :D

Jon

Nice. Coincidentally I’m just watching a series on YouTube with that British guy who converted his bus with the help of Jehu Garcia. I’d consider doing mine but it would have to have a great range or the utility wouldn’t be right for my use case. Good luck!

JonMegaTron said:
Hi everyone!

Just bought a 68 westy about a week ago. It came with the original engine and gearbox...unattached on a wooden pallet inside the car :). Other bits such as lights, drive shafts, the dash etc were included (all unattached), but other than that the bus is pretty much a shell. There's no steering, brakes, interior, panels, nothing.
But it's not too much of an issue, as I'm planning to put the fastest Tesla motor in it anyway! (from the Model S P100D - 500+hp!)
There'll be no issues of combustion engines and maintenance will be minimal. I'm looking forward to the journey, and glad to be a new member here! :D

Jon

Well, you’ve definitely sparked my interest :shock: :lol: :shock:
I do hope you start a rebuild thread on here as it sounds amazing and something worthy of following . Have you any idea yet what the weight of the new drive train and fuel is versus the original set up with a full tank ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,And welcome to you tooooo :mrgreen:

The electric motors are smaller and lighter, though I'm not sure what a standard 1600 engine weighs either (and all the other ancillary stuff you could remove).

Batteries vs fuel: each Kw/h of a Tesla pack is around 6.5 Kg (~14 lbs), so a decent range (subjective) could be provided by 50 Kw/h, and that would weigh 317 Kg. Petrol weighs about 730 g/litre, so a full 60 litre tank weighs about 44 kg, not including the weight of the tank which I also do not know.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-would-an-average-electric-car-weigh-as-opposed-to-a-comparable-gasoline-powered-car

"The battery of a p100 tesla weights 1200 lbs. Each motor, 2 for the d models, weights about 100 lbs. And 100 lbs of power electronics to run it all. That’s it for drive train."

So that's about 550kg for the 16 batteries and only 45kg for the motor! Bear in mind thought that 16 batteries (totalling to 100kWh) isn't necessary if you don't need the long range. I'm planning on installing only ~4 batteries (depending on the kWh of the batteries I buy) so the weight will be much less.

BTW I might also create a YouTube channel to document and share this project!

Jon

Hello all, I've been reading the forum for a short while and realised I hadn't posted on here! My wife and I bought a '69 Westy in June last year, we are longtime VW owners but it had been at least 12 years since we had last owned a bus (a '65 split) and the time was right to find another one! We had decided we wanted an early bay Westfalia, we spotted this one for sale and realised it was originally 'built' by our good friend Ted Glenie (ex Slamwerks) so we jumped on it straight away. We spent what summer we could using it as much as possible and it was great to have a bus again :) It's now in our garage undergoing a bit of freshen up inside and out and replacing some parts that inevitably get worn etc over time. We also have a 1961 Beetle in Pearl White too so it's kinda cool they match!

A recent pic of the bus at the RSVP show.

Hey there, I’m Also a Steve W and mine is Walker, I know there’s quite a few of us about especially up in my age ranges mid sixties :shock: Who’d of thought Id make it this long :mrgreen: .So welcome to you and good for you on posting. You can now officially be the Pearl white gang :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,yesssssss, mines white too :mrgreen:

Latest posts