New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny said:
welcome dasteel, i hope you have a big awning as it looks like you got your hands full :D

4 out of the 5 are mine. The one in the back is my nephew. I havn't quite worked out the sleeping arrangements yet???

Hi all,

New to Earlybay, although i admit I have been lurking for a while! Still looking for my first van. Currently considering a 72 RHD Danbury Pop-top at £6500, but still a little unsure about what you get for your money. Looks OK, and has 12 months MOT and seems to pull OK, but window seals are old/perished, and the door runner cover/window surround on non-sliding side is rusted, needs new nearside rear corner and cab floor is rusted through a bit on one side. Looks like it will need a new driver door in future. Nice looker, lowered on alloys etc, but all belly pans in place and don't know what might be hiding. TBH it's all quite scary as I don't weld or spray. Don't mind tinkering mind you! Looking for a van to do long weekends in, with cooker and sink, fridge would be nice but not necessary. Considering any conversions. Willing to spend upto £8K.

Any advice happily received. Will hopefully be at dubfreeze, and would love to get something sorted before the weather improves, and look forward to posting some pics etc when I do!

Dave

Welcome Dave. My advice is to look closely at the underside and if you see alot of underseal or sticky frame sealant type stuff be very cautious. Take someone with you who knows about where to look for problems and don't be afraid to have a good poke about. Have a look on the gallery threads and understand where the potential problems can be. I didn't do any of the above and paid the price!

BUT having now had nearly all of the problems sorted, me and the family love our bus, a 1970 Danbury poptop and we use it loads. Take time and don't rush in.

Most people will say go for a dry import but most will be LHD. If i had my time agaoin i would be speaking to one of the regular traders on here. Graham L, Scott Wilson, skp,fbi etc as they seem to be up front with their descriptions and wouldn't want a bad name. I don't know them but the forum seems to hold them in respect which means alot. Maybe start with one of these guys. Buy good metal. The rubbers and other bits are mostly readily available and can be sorted out over time.

Good luck

Al

Hi there,
I guess its time to introduce myself after cheking out your forum for a while now :D
I'm from Holland (so exuse me for my english) and I own my bus for 15 years.
Here's what it looks like :mrgreen:
DSCF1805.jpg

hi to everyone at earlybay.com

ive had my bay now for some time, i think 7 years, hope youll still let me in as its a crossover, anyway, ive looked thru the site and looks like its gonna be fun in here :D

thought someone may be interested to know i found this site through Volkstorque.co.uk

graingermouse said:
hi to everyone at earlybay.com

ive had my bay now for some time, i think 7 years, hope youll still let me in as its a crossover, anyway, ive looked thru the site and looks like its gonna be fun in here :D

thought someone may be interested to know i found this site through Volkstorque.co.uk

crossers are part of the family, we even have a special eb sticker just for you.

and yes thats interesting to know about referrals

Hello All,
Been here for a short while, but since picking my van up in December I've become a bit of an addict!
My van is a Californian 1971 Delux that was imported a while ago by Mat and Rob at SKP (great guys).
They have since, for me, stripped, repaired and painted the outside and fitted a westy pop top.
I picked it up just after Christmas and drove it back to Cheshire with no heating....an experience to behold!!
Anyway, I am madly working on it most nights to kit the inside out as it was empty, but am rapidly coming to realise that it won't be ready for Tredegar House as planned... :cry:
I'll get round to pics at some point, but the most of it is on SKP's website.
Hope to meet some of you soon at shows etc.
Cheers
Al

Hi Everybody, my name is Austin and i am new to early bay, and i would like to say HI!!

I've got a cali black plate import, 69 westy pop top, in pearl white, which i wanted for ages and its on its way over here now!!.

been into aircooled dubs for a little more than 15 years now, started off with a 72 fastback when i was 16, then i've had a 72 bug, a 67 og bug, and most recently a 62 bug, which i sold to finance the dream.......... my 69 EB, which i never thought i would be able to have! i've also had an obscene amount of golfs, mk1 gti's, an abf mk1 gti, a clipper cab, a few mk2 gti's, a mk2 vr6, a mk3 valver, a mk4 gti, a vento vr6, and so on, also got a caddy that i use for work, and the mrs has a new beetle cab as her daily. I do all of the engine conversions and work myself at home, and pretty much will have a go at anything.

Well and truly vw nuts, and this looks like a good place to scratch the vw itch!! use ed38 a fair bit, the samba and VZi every now an again, but didnt know this website existed until recently. Looks pretty like a pretty good site, and i hope to make the most of it.

Hi
Thought I would introduce myself. Im mark from Sussex. I have a 71 tin top, which is currently off the road, although hope to have it back on for the summer. Hoping to get to a few vw weekends this summer. However, at the moment it seems to be one problem after another. If there is anyone else in sussex, it would be great to meet up (especially if they know how to weld lol) only joking.
Mark

Hello everybody,

my name is bart, 23 years old and i am from belgium
the first time i heard about this forum was 3 days ago
when i was checking flat4free.be for fastfreddy files at ninove
some said there where going to be people from earlybay.com
i never heard of it so 2days ago i checked this forum and now i am a member

I have for 3 years now an 1970 bay window westy
and she is back from the sandblaster since friday

I will open a new topic with my project tommorow
this is a picture of my bay 3 years ago

DSCN0017.jpg

I am trying to write in my best english
so correct me if i am writing things wrong,

Bart

I said my first "hello" a few pages back, but now I've actually got my own early bay I feel I should say a proper hello!

4440367663_f527971fdf_b.jpg

:D