Newbee after some stance related advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoked

Reaction score
Hi,

im totally new to the camper scene, and have just bought 'Jerry' the '71 early bay devon poptop.
I sent him to MAC VW for a full inspection and service as soon as I got him. I was pretty horrified to discover the bodged repairs done on the underside by previous owners... so after some heartache and a wodge of cash i have him back and in fine fettle.

My next job on the list is a spot of rims and lowering.
I love and OEM plus look, and sadly some of my favourite rims are wide five, and my bus is 5x112.
i've ordered some mercedes 16inch steels which I would like to powder coat 6j for the front and 7j for the rear. my maths says they will fit, but the proof of the pudding...

im planning on running xl 96 load rated tires and am trying to pick sizes now.
I've also picked up a red9 ez rider 4-5.5 inch kit for the front.

does anyone have some suggestions for tire sizes?
Also, do I need 71-79 rear spring plates or upto 71.5?
is 4inch at the front the same as 4inch at the back? I know it sounds daft, but looking at red9 rear spring plates to try to maintain suspension travel.

any advice in general is most welcome!

heres how he is ass he stands:

cheers
Ben

I'm no lowering expert but I would say 4" at the front is different from 4" at the back as you will likely run bigger back tyres than front.

I fitted adjustable spring plates and would recommend them for the back

Latest posts