No go AGAIN!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Hey,
Cut a long story short my bus is broken again, got towed back to my house with it by the RAC, he had not worked on one in so long he didnt really have a clue. The timing was way way off thus 2 foot flames from the exhaust before it died. Got a friend to have a look at the enigne with me. Checked for spark, fuel everything. Took the spark plugs out cleaned re-gapped. Then set the dizzy to the location its states in the haynes manual, piston was coming up on cylinder one at the right time. Engine will turn over but not even attempt to try and fire, also occasionally when trying it back fires. There is a really good spark at the coil end but weak at plug end. Somebody has told me this could be a coil fault?
Can anybody shed even the smallest bit of light on this situation, if not i may have to put it into a garage and i'm not exactly minted at the minute.

Cheers

Mark

Every T2 ive ever owned seems to run like a bag of sh!t when ive baught it. If it were mine id get Points,Condencer,Cap n Rotor,Plugs n Leads and a Coil. Set the tappet Gaps. When its up n running get the timing gun out :mrgreen:

hi
thats timing out.

when it backfires a valve is still open..are you sure your timing it on no 1 cylinder?
it tells you witch is no cylinder on the engine tin.
this is how i did mine.....
find no 1 cylinder...take out plug...and take off rocker box..stick pencil down the plughole..put spanner on pulley and turn the engine over.. watch the inlet valve go down then up turn slowly till the pencil or whatever you put down the plughole rocks up and down..thats top dead centre on no1 cylinder...now take off your dizzy cap and note where the rotor is pointing..it should be pointing at the plug lead that goes to your no1 cylinder...the points should be fully open..also have a look at your timing mark ..it should be straght up in line with crank casing split ...if the rotor on the dizzy is not pointing at your no1 plg lead..undo the dizzy a bit..and turn it till it is pointing at the no 1 plug lead.
should run now...mine did...then i took it to me mates garage and he dropped the gun on it for finer tuning..been going lovely for 10 yrs.
hope that helps a bit.
cheers jon

Hey,
Thanks for the advice, hopefully get chance to visit the bus to work on tomorrow. Will check all the things listed. Did change the coil, leads, rotor arm today but still no joy. Not even firing!

Cheers

Mark