Noise is driving me crazy.....................

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg5003

Reaction score
Hi. I just bought a 74 westy. It has a type 1 motor with a 2 barrel carb looks like it has just been rebuilt.I have done a search and could not find anything to help and I asked the guy that rebuilds my motors and two other vw freaks and no one can figure this out so I would appreciate any help. The noise sounds like a bearing going out in the motor.And you have to be inside the bus to hear it.I took it over to my motor guy and we put on the E brake stood in back and reved up the bus. He said the motor sounded great, then I took him in side and reved it and it get this horrible noise at high R's.I crawled under the bus and had my wife rev it up and you could hear it a little but not like when your inside.I push in the clutch let out the clutch and the noise doesn't change.Seems about the same. When I crawl under the bus by the tranny I don't hear any strange noise. I can go down a long hill and just let off the gas and coast and no noise a little gas still no noise, I have to get the r's up.I have had the bus about 2 weeks and it is driving me crazy.I swear to God it was not there when I bought the bus.I can not handle the noise. The pop top seems tight.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Greg

Sounds a real puzzzler ?? It sounds like your going to have to go bit by bit and process of elimination. It could be some sort of reverb effect.The first thing I`d do is get the noise up and have someone moving about in the bus trying to locate the damn thing (with seat belt on obviously :lol: ) If it`s definitely from the engine bay, is it mechanical or is it vibes / harmonics. You could try and take the fan belt off just for a couple of secs and see what difference that makes, if it goes when you got the belt off, could be the belt or the fan or the alternator or a crisp bag or some leaves in the fan houseing. That`s where I`d start because if it`s worse inside it may be coming through the heater tubes and that all starts off round the fan. Good luck with it, and when you do find it :shock: not if but when, be sure to let us know.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Latest posts