• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NOW SOLD - 1968 Westy - LHD Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd

Reaction score
For sale is my November '67 early bay, I bought her in 2008 and she has been maintained and updated slowly over this time. I now need a long distance daily so time for Turtle to go to a new home.

She is LHD and originally Californian. Located in Sandhurst, M3 J4.

t4s7_zpsb29273c6.jpg

t4s1_zps2fa1109d.jpg

t4s2_zpsfec5d6b6.jpg

t4s8_zps98cae666.jpg

More photos here: http://s729.beta.photobucket.com/user/mattdutton/library/t4s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rough history
Van built November 1967 and sent to California.
Remained in California until 2000
Shipped to the UK
First owner did not register her but had a fair amount of work done on general wear, i.e. some panels repaired
I bought her in 2008 from Midland Early Bay who was the first registered keeper (Graham L on this forum)

Bodywork
No rust in all the usual places, all panels that showed signs have been repaired/replaced.
Fair amount of knocks and dents all gathered through normal wear and tear over the last 40 years.
The only rust I found has been fixed (under dash, bottom 2" replaced and some of the guttering has been stripped and pinholes welded up). Door seals replaced on the front and engine bay, I have got, but yet to fit, new OG seals for the rear door and slider.

Engine
1600 TP. Installed in 1991.
Compression on the cylinders is roughly the same all round.
Oil changed every 3 months, by me, without fail.
Bosch 009
Dual Solex carbs
Electronic (Petronix) ignition
Electric fuel pump
All fuel hose replaced
Bolt up rocker shafts
Quietpack Exhaust

Interior
Newton Commercial front seats and cushions / upholstery in rear, including all door cards.
New curtains with blackout lining and patterned on both sides.
MadMatz flooring.
Kustom Interiors units with removal twin burner.
Propex blown air heater.
12V Leisure battery.
240V hookup.
Wolfsburg non-adjustable aircraft style vintage seatbelts throughout
3-point and lap belt in rear
Metal dash with integrated oil pressure, temperature and rev counter.
As new condition poptop canvas, hardly used
New cot hammock and roof hammock.

Running Gear
Recon steering box
New tie rods throughout
New ball joints throughout
New wheel bearings
Late bay spindles, discs and callipers (not drums)
Lowered professionally so rides really smooth.
Recon beam
New shocks on front, Spax gas adjustables on rear
Creative adjustable spring plates on rear
Wide5 adapters on front

Paint etc
She started life in beige, then went dodgem red and then delta green. No idea when but I suspect red in the 80's and green in the early 90's judging by the fading and layering. She is not rat look but carries a certain amount of history around with her.
Rear is running Creative adjustable plates.
She has a non-age related registration plate that comes with the van.

I got back from 2 weeks in France last month and she ran without fault; myself, wife, two kids and all the camping stuff up and down the hills. She has never let me down.

Few little bits to fix over winter, but if I do not sell then I will just sort them out then run her for another year (need to get new door locks for the front and potentially a new wiper motor since it is not running 100%) all in all not many gremlins for an old bus.

SOLD

Latest posts