NZ Danbury - Aug '67

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digdug

Reaction score
Just purchased this one owner van after a 10 year pursuit... bought new from the Danbury stand at the Earls Court Motor Show in 1967... I love barn finds!!!
Henry14.jpg

Henry5.jpg

Henry7.jpg

So this guy bought it at the show and shipped it to NZ a couple of years later. He drove it till about 10 years ago when he cracked the block - so he parked it in the barn (its a one owner).
Henry1.jpg

Henry4.jpg

I first saw it 10 years ago and have been trying to prise it out of there hands ever since...
Henry.jpg

Went up the other day and they have agreed, and it is mine now...
It has the original awning and sunshade, unfortunately someone has cut the dash.
Henry6.jpg

Some rust in the usual places but nothing to bad.
Henry10.jpg

Henry11.jpg

My biggest problem is that the cooker and sink are missing, so if anyone has some please drop me a line, I will be in the UK in 2-3 weeks.
Henry3.jpg

Not sure about it but are these hangers below original???
Henry8.jpg

I pick him up tomorrow... cant wait!!!

quite a bit of history! has anyone got an earlier bay?

very nice find congrats 8)

Wow! That is an early Danbury indeed! And it looks as if the little Danbury badge is on the engine lid, just where it should be on the very early ones. 8)

The hangers do indeed look original to me.

Have you joined the VW Danbury group yet?

Here is the link......

http://vwdanburycamper.wetpaint.com/

By the way welcome to Early Bay! :D

Doug

Ruby003-1.jpg

Combined age of 180 years, average age of 45 years, mental age of 16 years...
Ruby004.jpg

Out of the shed and into the light!!!
Ruby006.jpg

Down the hill and on the trailer...
Ruby007.jpg

Took it out to its new home and tried to tow start it... bloody waste of time.
Ruby008.jpg

So checked out the pop top... and bunks...
Ruby009.jpg

Pando the fucken legend wouldn't quit, lets check the points and bump the bastard (he has become very kiwi)
Ruby010.jpg

Luckily the salesman left the user instructions and original tool kit so we could get it going!!! WAAAHOOOOO!!!!
Ruby011.jpg

Videos to come once I figure this shit out...and when I'm not pissed!!!

That's a beauty of a find, unfortunaltely for me i think you've just pipped me on the earliest Danbury bay :( gonna have to change my sig now :roll: :mrgreen:

Had a go at getting him started but the battery was dead...

we took him to his new home, checked the points and bumped him... ran like a dream (have a video but its to big to get onto photobucket - any ideas)

Everything seems to work fine, I expected to see oil pissing out but he is sweet and he didnt blow smoke...just a couple of laps!

Wow It's a bit like mine inside. I have a 68 Danbury - it has the same upholstery and curtains as yours and I have those same coathangers and the Tool kit! Mine was bought new by my granny and was also kept in a barn till i got my hands on it.

did you get the first aid box too?

really good to see another one has been rescued!

would love to see more pics of the inside - particularly of the bed and cooker set ups.

Hey COSI, no cooker or sink - I'm on the hunt for them - I'm heading to UK in 2-3 weeks planning to go to Bug Jam...and a few other shows
Pretty sure the interior is all still original apart from that... I would love to see some photos of your inside especially the bits I'm missing... I will load some interior shots next week all going well.

Hey, thanks for the offer but I'm on a mission to UK in 2-3 weeks so will be buying up large on repair panels and parts (reverse the usual VW flow). I'm selling my crossover on TradeMe at the moment - if you are interested check out Volkswagen Devon Camper 1972, its a Chianti/White Moonraker camper in good condition, still has belly pans, original interior and runs sweet. After about $15k (6kGBP).

Digdug said:
Hey COSI, no cooker or sink - I'm on the hunt for them - I'm heading to UK in 2-3 weeks planning to go to Bug Jam...and a few other shows
Pretty sure the interior is all still original apart from that... I would love to see some photos of your inside especially the bits I'm missing... I will load some interior shots next week all going well.

What I've seen so far of your interior appears to be completely original (seat fabric, curtains, coat hangers etc).

Here is a pic of the completely original interoir of my '72 crossover.....

Picture540.jpg

Doug

hey bayview,
Not sure if you remember me but i have the same coloured van as you, and im mates with both pando and digdug, we live just around the corner from each other. I was wondering if the container offer could be extended maybe ? where are you moving too ? i remeber talking about the job at Tauranga council ,did you get a job near us in the mount ?
if the offer is open can you pm me
Thanks and great news about the big shift :D
Levster

Hi mate, of course I remember. Decided against shipping the van so now on the look out. Shame would have been great to have the vans alongside each other. Sent you a pm

Digdug said:
Hey, thanks for the offer but I'm on a mission to UK in 2-3 weeks so will be buying up large on repair panels and parts (reverse the usual VW flow). I'm selling my crossover on TradeMe at the moment - if you are interested check out Volkswagen Devon Camper 1972, its a Chianti/White Moonraker camper in good condition, still has belly pans, original interior and runs sweet. After about $15k (6kGBP).
Digdug , saw the van looks sweet. I guess it will probably sell before we arrive but could be interested if its still available.

8 weeks and counting!

i cant seem to find it? can you post a link as its exactely what i have at the moment.

Latest posts