Oil Bath Air Filter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

Wondering if anyone may be able to help me out and point me in the right direction on the above. Was doing a bit of maintenance on the van and working on the air filter. The rear most flap (nearest the oil bath itself) was in a bit of a sad situation and while trying to put it back and realign the weight/axle bit I managed to snap it off! Does anyone know if I can just get a replacement flap piece?

Also, is this weighted end supposed to be connected to a cable of some sort? Mines a 69, but looking at other posts online, some guys refer to a cable connected to the flap!?!?

Anyway, any help as usual is much appreciated!

Sean

There are 3 different types of oil bath filter fitted to Early Bays (that I know of...)

The first has a flap connected via a bowden cable to the flaps in the fanshroud. This is operated by the main engine thermostat, altering the temperature of intake air as the engine warms up.

The second has a seperate wax thermostat on the side of the intake. I tried a couple of these and couldn't get one to provide the right temperature of air for my engine to run nicely. I can't find a picture at the moment.

The third has a different type of thermostat and a vacuum connection to the manifold. I found this to be the best, by a long shot.

5767034375_72a3435d1f.jpg

I'd imagine a post in 'wanted' should help you find a secondhand one cheaply, or a complete filter might be easier to come by.

Latest posts