Oil Cooler Kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraggle

Reaction score
What d'ya recon on these kits-

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Engine-Parts/Oil-Coolers/?templateID=ssp

I'm looking at the bugpack oil cooler fan kit for my bus. No machining work needed either!!

Your thoughts please

Cheers

these are a good bit of kit, although you do get the themostat in the kit so im not sure why they tell you to buy it seperatly?
heard of a couple of people having the hoses pop off when cold but thats probably bad fitting. loads of people have them and for the money they are cheap as chips!
plus you get a spin on oil filter fitting! buy the golf ones as they are cheaper than the flash fram ones
I think cool air do them cheaper so maybe get a price match?

Yeah superb bit of kit but shop around the same kit can vary in price quite a lot I'll try and find my old receipt as I paid £99 for mine last year but cant remember from who..

Worth every penny.....

Cool cheers guys it's always good to check stuff out first as we've all spent our hard earned on crap at some point.

Any pics of a kit installed???

Just checking but it doesn't interfere with the rear engine mount does it??

you will probably have to modify the rear brace bar as it will foul the oil pump cover.
the kits are designed for bugs really but can be used on busses with a little tinkering :wink:

ive modified the late bars but yours would be the early chunky type.
not done one of them.
maybe source a spare that you can cut about?

Fraggle said:
What d'ya recon on these kits-

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Engine-Parts/Oil-Coolers/?templateID=ssp

I'm looking at the bugpack oil cooler fan kit for my bus. No machining work needed either!!

Your thoughts please

Cheers

From past experience, I would fit nothing with an EMPI logo to my van. Once bitten, twice shy.

With the bugpack kit you have to remove your oil pressure regulating spring & plunger to fit the oil return fitting. Wont this cause potential pressure problems when cold? doesnt the plunger stop the oil being routed through the stock oil cooler when pressure is high? potentially blowing seals and or splitting the cooler or am I being overdramatic?

have a search on volkszone for "bugpack AND cooler" appears to be a few threads where people have expressed ther concerns, although there doesnt appear to be any where people have actually had problems after fitting the kit.
Some people also seem to think that you can full flow without dismantling the case, see here:
http://www.dune-buggy.com/techtips/fullflow/

Dont know whether that is more risky or not though.

ive heard people say about oil cooler splitting ect ect but its always a friend of a friends dogs great aunt so im a little skeptical.
its very possible but the amount of these that sell there should at least be a few that ive seen?

If you feel you really have to have a cooler then fit it properly in a full flow system and have the case machined to return the oil. The factory oil pressure relief valves are there for a reason and not to be messed with. Think, if it was OK to do this why didn't VW just miss them out and save cash? Bergs have a sheet to tell you how to drill the case for full flow without splitting it if you don't want to go the whole hog.
If operated in warmer climes you might not have as many problems with a Bugpac system as in colder winter weather. You can have a thermo switch as well as a pressure switch to protect the cooler.
Hope some of this helps.

On the filter front don't go for the cheapest option unless you want problems. What about one of the Bus ones from the type 4 as an alternative? These are very similar to the ones supplied on the late F.I mexican bugs, but the part number on the mex ones is the same as a euro golf, but the internals are totally different and the golf ones cause tappet noise - ie, not enough oil flow! Fram maybe expensive, and more than you need, so why not a System one or Oberg which are cleanable and over time will cost little as the cost is spread over many oil changes.

If you need the support nar modifying.....i know a top guy who did mine!

Infact mine was heavily modified to clear the oil pump and give clearance for the fully merged exhaust system :D

Latest posts