OIL PRESSURE OR NO OIL PRESSURE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleoMar

Reaction score
1971 1600 engine uprated to 1776cc with external oil filter added plus bonus sump.

I had the engine out to fix an issue with the cooling fan and replace the shift rod bushings. All accomplished successfully and engine, trans reinstalled.

Upon start up the idiot oil light stays on and burns brightly no matter the revs. I replaced the Oil Pressure Switch and no change.
I do not have access to a gadget to measure oil pressure.
QUESTION: How do I satisfy myself the oil is circulating as it should. All worked properly before I removed the engine.
Filled with Castrol 20/50 gtx oil and confirm it is at the full level mark. (approx 4 litres)

Any suggestions for a simple check? What happens if I run the engine with the dipstick pulled?
Thx C

1971 1600 engine uprated to 1776cc with external oil filter added plus bonus sump.
I had the engine out to fix an issue with the cooling fan and replace the shift rod bushings. All accomplished successfully and engine, trans reinstalled.

Upon start up the idiot oil light stays on and burns brightly no matter the revs. I replaced the Oil Pressure Switch and no change.
I do not have access to a gadget to measure oil pressure.
QUESTION: How do I satisfy myself the oil is circulating as it should. All worked properly before I removed the engine.
Filled with Castrol 20/50 gtx oil and confirm it is at the full level mark. (approx 4 litres)

Any suggestions for a simple check? What happens if I run the engine with the dipstick pulled?
Thx C

Are you absolutely certain that you have the correct wire to the oil pressure sensor ? Did you take any photos prior ? If so, blow them up and double check. Not sure about any difference with the dip stick pulled as the motor is designed to ensure positive crank case pressure which aids in venting usually piped back into an air filter or to fresh air or a catch tank.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,drives you crazy don’t it :)

Is the wiring correct and not damaged? Is the switch ok? If so get an oil pressure test gauge and screw it into the sender hole in the side of the case, remove the king lead from the coil so it doesn’t fire and get someone to spin the engine over on the key while you watch the gauge. If it builds pressure on cranking then connect the lead and run the engine while monitoring the gauge.

When you fitted the deep sump did you fit the pick up extensions?

First take the wire off the switch and see if the light comes on, if so its a wiring fault.

Have you swapped the oil pressure switch connections, is the switch faulty?
Is the oil pump actually pumping oil through the remote oil lines?
I had to prime mine for around 10 minutes to get the oil circulating through the filter and cooler.

Latest posts