Oil type?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tofufi said:
The most important thing is to have the right amount of clean oil ;)

Using cheap oil and changing it every 3000 miles is better than buying the most expensive, fantastic oil and expecting it to last 12000 miles ;)

I use Duckhams 20/50, although I'm tempted to try 15/40.

VW have not recommended using monograde (SAE30) oil in aircooled cars since the 1960s... just because the cars are old doesn't mean we should be using monolithic oil ;)

Hi I agree with Tofufi, what ever oil you use you must change it every 3000 miles or sooner if you are running a modified engine. You also must run mineral as synthetic oil tends to coat the metal in a fine film this not allowing the rest of the oil to have contact with all the cooling parts in the engine so what ever your taste of oil is 30 grade, 20/50 and 15/40 grade it must be mineral and change it every 3000 miles
I change mine at 1500 miles or once a year.
I youest to use Morris 30 but know the engine has been modified I use 15/40. :p
Craig..
P.s. If you only do a few hundred miles a year and your van is lied up most of the year you will get condensation in the oil so you should change it every year.

So, at risk of sounding like a amature :oops: but knowing that other people will also be wondering, what is the difference between mineral and synthetic? And what brand of mineral oil do you use?

buddysbuddy said:
Sythetic oils tend not to dissipate heat as well as mineral, therefore the engine runs hotter, They work well in water cooled engines (particularly high performance) as the water does the cooling, but in a VW air cooled motor, a chunk of the cooling is delivered by the oil.....stick with mineral.

From earlier in the thread.... ;)

Shell mineral 15W40 plus a bottle of ZDDPlus for my camshaft & lifters.

http://medias.norauto.fr/images_produits/400x400/00310133.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zddplus.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use valvoline VR1 20-50 mineral oil in my 2110 as rec. by the engine builder but it isn't cheap although not bad if bought in bulk. The advised not to use synthetic.

Latest posts