Old surviving Bay : N° 238 008 630 built on August 18, 1967

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanguy

Reaction score
Hello !

In first, excuse-me if my english isn't perfect but I'm french...
In second, for your answers, please use simple terms.

I bought recently an old Bay Window. It's a Kombi model. I was built on August 18, 1967.
His condition is poor but it's a good base for restauration : no so rust, but lot of missing parts.

For my first post on your forum, I would like to know if there is a registery about the oldest Bay T2a ?
I seen the oldest Bay in the world is a Pick-Up.
Someone have a link from this list or registery ?

Many thanks !
Best regards from France !

Tanguy "froggy" :mrgreen:

Hello Tanguy,

Welcome to the forum - your bay does sound very early, do you have any pictures or details from your M-code plate (this should be rivetted to the bulkhead behind your drivers seat).

Bonjour Tanguy,

Accueillir au forum - votre baie semble tres tôt, vous faire a n'importe quelles images ou n'importe quels détails de votre plaque de M-CODE (ceci devrait être fixé avec un rivet à la cloison derrière vos conducteurs place).

;)

Hi !

I don't have a lot of pics about my Bay... :(

Here is his M-Plate :

n04av4.jpg

For the history, the classified for this bus was on a small site Internet and I purchased it from 110 kilometers to my home.
The bus was stored in a house bought recently. The new owner sell the bus to have more place.
Before the new owner, the precedent owner (in fact, new owner member's family) bought the bus to an old lady (maybe the first owner) for use the parts becaus this man have another bus...

Here is some pics :

bay1mr5.jpg

bay2yp2.jpg

As you can see, the face was changed many years because of shot... :(

Tanguy

ressemblant à un bus très tôt, NICE trouver. êtes-vous arrivé à un bon prix?

Looks better condition than mine :oops:.
Sorry to ask thb obvious, but why has it got an late front fitted to it. Has it been involved in an accident in the past?
But still a 8) cool looking bus.

Tu peux toujours voir sur ce site

http://apsktw.tripod.com/regist.htm "type 2 registry".

Tu fais de la compèt' pour savoir si tu as le plus ancien bay? :mrgreen:
Si pas, y a un petit forum bay à la française si tu veux... :wink:

Tanguy said:
Here is his M-Plate :
n04av4.jpg

Hi, my French is rubbish, so I hope you can understand this lot.......

18 8 = production date 18th August 1967

11 = 1600cc engine 4spd

397 = group code containing m code 123, 124
123 = Suppression equipment for radio reception
124 = Yellow headlamp bulbs and safety inner rear view mirror

013 = Middle 3 person bench seat, rear 3 person bench seat and interior trim in passenger compartment

FR = import destination France

2310 = Kombi LHD Standard Version

131336 = exterior colour L87 Pearl White all over with beige leatherette interior

8008630 = 1968 chassis number 008630

:mrgreen:

Hi !

Thanks for your attention... And again, please excuse my poor english... :|

To make an answer for everyone :

strongy * The price was so low, it's incorrect to say him... 8)
rustydiver * Yes, the front changed many years ago after an accident
M.O.I. * Ton lien ré-oriente vers un site allemand et je n'y trouve pas de registre. Oui, j'aimerais bien connaître son classement au sein des Bay vétérans !
Speedman * Thanks for your informations !

In fact, when I read the classified, I wanted buy this bus only for the front and the rear axle ('cause I am Split lover in first... Ooops ! :oops: ). But this Kombi doesn't have title circulation.
But when I received the Kombi, I immediatly seen it was a very-very earliest Bay ! There is not a lot of dammage because of rust, and finaly I could to have his original title circulation !
Today, I can't cut this beautiful and history vehicle, so I think I will sell it. But before, for my curiosity, I would like to know which position it has in the registry...

Tanguy

wow - thanks for sharing your find with us ...

far as I know thats the earliest bay on here - no. 8630 built ... the 2 older ones I know are the oldest (nr 38 pickup), and the very early panel van that was in volksworld recently (is it no. 64 ??) ...

Mike

Latest posts