One sweep wiper button

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it a bit of a pain (especially in the dark) fumbling around for the wiper switch to activate it for one sweep,then having to keep my hand on the switch to turn it off.
I am thinking of putting a self returning button switch in a convenient place and wonder how to wire it up.
My wiper switch is original 1971 Lhd import and 2 speed.I have got a relay which I am told is a 19. It has 6 terminals.
I
53s
53m
T
Photo of the 2 terminal switch I’ve got below
[/

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Hadn’t thought of that, do you have one and if so is it any good.
I’d probably prefer to be in control rather than being ruled by a third party, the Mrs is enough! 😜

I bought one of these from America. Awesome piece of kit. Website is in pic. A good few people
on this forum have them. Intermittent ,fast and slow. Fits into the present loom.

Hope this helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

That looks great and I’ll check it out.
Presumably I still have to fumble about rather than having a nicely located Go to button ?

Thanks gas1man,
I’ve looked at it and it seems really good and will go for it. Presumably I have to order from USA? Never done that before. The company is on holiday at the moment so will contact them in a week or so.

Hi Huyrob,
Revolution electronics also sell through Amazon US. I ordered mine from there.The only difference is when it gets to the UK you get a letter from the post office asking for payment of tax. I think tax was something like £20.

I have fitted one of those intermittent wiper modules, along with replacing the vacuum wash with an electric one. All in the original switch. Works great.

Thanks Gagvanman.
I’ve checked the eBay site but they have suspended until return on 7th.
I’ve just realised I’ve got a spare switch on its own on the left of steering wheel so I will swap the wiper one over. This will save any fumbling around.

I've one of these also and believe its wiper outputs are controlled by switch 'pulses'. Therefore a simple 'push-on' button could trigger a standard wiper pass without any complications.

When you order one, can you ask? Suspect it's just an extra connection to a wired push switch that's needed, might have an experiment myself ....

Yes I will ask.It would be great if you could have both.
When you have carried out your little experiment could you post the results ...in simple wiring language 🙄

If your park function works on your wipers then that little switch pressed once will do the trick , you can feed it from the wiper switch and out of it, effectively crossing the terminals using the switch then it’s fused etc, locate it anywhere you want then :)

Thanks Davidoft,
That was what I was hoping for. Yes my park function does work.
I got a really quick response back from revolution electronics saying that they had never worked on a westy and asking if I had a wiring diagram or if I could do some continuity measurements on the switch as they need to know what terminals on the switch have continuity with each other for each position on the switch. All well beyond me !
Love the apparent simplicity of your idea. Could you give me a bit more detail ? Do I break in to the wire that controls the slow speed and put each of the cut ends individually to each of the terminals on the push switch, also if that is right will I need a fuse and where should it go.And what size fuse.
Thanks

I looked into this a few years ago & ended up doing nothing!
I eventually decided that for the amount of time I actually needed intermittent was not worth the cost or the hassle.
I understand that the box of tricks from the US is very smart. You plug some connectors onto your switch & other connectors onto your existing wires you have just unplugged from your switch. Being tight/careful with cash I decided $+post+customs headed towards £70 ish was not worth it.
I also spent ages fathoming out the function of the existing setup - switch & motor.
It is not at all straightforward. This is mainly because the switch introduces a short across the motor once it is parked. This acts as a brake to stop it flopping about when off - I deduced. Therefore the idea of giving the motor a pulse of power to move it off the park position for a single sweep, like I would have liked to do, would not work. I created a nice circuit diagram which used a couple of relays but then decided I couldn’t be bothered.
If you need this function the US kit sounds like a sound investment. IMHO.
Phil.

Huyrob said:
When you have carried out your little experiment could you post the results ...in simple wiring language [emoji849]
Might not be for a while, taking the dash out isn't a favourite experience for my knuckles.... its those heater controls.... Will do if/when I get around to it

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Bluesnailman said:
Huyrob said:
When you have carried out your little experiment could you post the results ...in simple wiring language [emoji849]
Might not be for a while, taking the dash out isn't a favourite experience for my knuckles.... its those heater controls.... Will do if/when I get around to it

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I did not remove my dash when installing the American unit.
Only removed the wiper switch and plug and play the rest, stuck unit up under dash with double sided tape.
Wires supplied on unit are long enough to achieve this. Hope this helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks Phil an Bluesnailsman
Yes I can see your points.
I received a further reply from USA today apologising as the sender was not a VW man , he had checked and confirmed ( as has been said) that the module will work. Will be getting one.
Anyway Phil I will be booking some camping in Fleetwood, it sounds lovely and dry there! 😆

Latest posts