Original List price...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duddlebug

Reaction score
I've had a (quick) search but can't find any answer, so firstly, sorry if this has been answered before...

I'm running my 1971 VW panel as my company vehicle and last year it was all business, so all the costs went through my accounts. I'm trying to work out its 'benefit in kind', so I could potentially use it for some personal use this summer but I need to know the original list price (I've been told that a VW type 2, worth under £15k, would be taxed at 22% of its original list price).

Does anyone know the UK prices of 1971 type 2's? Particularly a panel van?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

EDiT: My van's a J-reg, and was actually built in 1970, so I could do with finding that price too. But I think it was delivered in 1971.

I remember my mum and dad telling me that their first house (new build bungalow) was about 1100 quid in 1969! That makes VWs seem very expensive! What's a new build bungalow these days? - £130K on average?!!

I found, this as well - it's from 1970 but has panel van prices as well as conversion - maybe you could factor the £855 up a bit to 1971 prices using the Dormobile ratio of £1411/£1381 (1.022) giving £874

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/2_1970_vw_price_list_uk/Feb_1970_VW_Price_List_UK.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duddlebug said:
EDiT: My van's a J-reg, and was actually built in 1970, so I could do with finding that price too. But I think it was delivered in 1971.

A 71 model year van would have been built between August 70 and July 71.

You can use the m plate decoder website to tell you the (planned) production date

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks! I did do the M-plate thing a while back, when I bought the van last year... I've just dug it out from the back of my file.

It's planned production date was 23 May 1970, so that'll make it a 1970, won't it?

The date confusion is because it was originally sent to the swiss army in 1970. It was given the 'j' plate when it arrived in the UK in 2002, and always seems to get 1971 scribbled on its MOTs etc.

So that pdf from the Samba has the correct price! Thank you so much! I'd already been looking on the Samba today, and not found that one. Duh. Mine's a twin-slider so £920. Which will make my BIK £202.40. Bargain!

Yep, a 70 model year.

J plate is registered 1 August 1970 – 31 July 1971, but obviously yours went from Hanover to the Swiss Army. I guess it should be on an H plate really but I read somewhere that the DVLA often gets it wrong or they run out of "spare" reg nos and go to the next nearest available.

Would be interested to see pics - sound a very interesting van - a twin slider is a rare thing of beauty!

Latest posts