Original Underseal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last night I scrubbed out all my inner wheel arches, to make them nice and clean for the mot ..... :shock:

Anyway, they are all painted in original underseal, Im guessing as an option from factory. Its obviously done a good job over the years as no rot has occurred and its 95% 'stuck'.

So what to do? Should I take it all off to reveal the original paint - Im guessing hours of thinners and rags :? or simply touch up any areas that have chipped etc and then coat liberally with preventative wax?

The latter is the 'easy' option, but Im hankering for painted inner arches, and I fear underseal related nightmares.

Secondly, have I got too much time on my hands? :lol:

yes you have too much time on your hands! last time i cleaned underseal off i used petrol and thinners. its a thankless stinky sticky job but does look good when its finished.
be warned though once you start you have to finish it! :wink:

I found it easier to chip/scrape the underseal off mine with a very sharp chisel - takes forever though, and I still need to finish it off with the petrol & rag option. All of this so I can cover it up with fresh Waxoyl when I'm finished :roll:

;)

What about degreaser, seemed to clean my beam up ok (was covered in waxoyl & underseal), might be a bit tough on the paint though?

steaming it off is easier! but you do need one of these at your disposal :wink:

PhonePic001.jpg

PhonePic003.jpg

must lower it a bit more! its about 6ft at the mo :shock: :wink:

Latest posts