Other conversions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Other Early bay conversions

Viking

Although rarely scene on early bays, Viking produced many conversions during the 1970's - well known for their large-capacity pop-tops.

Holdsworth

Converted type 2's from bay window introduction in 1968, uncommon to see now on early bays.

Oxley coachcraft

Yorkshire-based converter of early bays - we have never come across one yet !

Sandpiper

Available from 1968, factory built or DIY conversion ??

Amescador

Amescador stands for Ames Campers Dordrecht, Ames being a VW dealer in the Dutch city of Dordrecht who built these campers.

Amescador is a Dutch conversion. Amescador is an abbreviation for AMES Campers Dordrecht. AMES was (and still is) a Dealership for Volkswagen in that time.

These are scans of Dutch folders:
ames-1.jpg

ames-2.jpg

ames-3.jpg

ames-4.jpg

ames-5.jpg

ames-7.jpg

ames-8.jpg

ames-9.jpg

ames-10.jpg

ames-11.jpg

ames-12.jpg

ames-13.jpg

ames-14.jpg

ames-15.jpg

ames-16.jpg

ames-17.jpg

ames-18.jpg

ames-19.jpg

ames-20.jpg

ames-21.jpg

ames-22.jpg

ames-23.jpg

ames-24.jpg

8th of April we had a first Amescador-meeting. 11 buses arrived (most of them late bays). I will post som piccies later on.

Sopru was tops in Australia and was official factory approved conversion- quite a few seem to have been exported to UK in past few years.

Sierp Bros also did Campmobile
Few more listed here

http://thekombikonnection.myfreeforum.org/forum6.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is 1970 Sierp Bros Campmobile

GioVANni235HPNo1.jpg

74 Sopru

MyDakDak.jpg

DarcyInteriorfromfrontcabA1.jpg

72 Sopru

Jeffreydriveway.jpg

JeffreyINt2.jpg

We have a Sopru which was imported in 2005. A very interesting conversion although replacing the pop up canvas cost a bomb! Our crossover has a hatch on the side which provides access to the gas bottles which are under the sink unit.

100_0209.jpg

l_8450ee25fe3d4580852e63cfc6240398.jpg

Believe this to be a "sportsmobile" Had a Westfalia interior, (z-bed, clothes bin, etc.) but the top popped straight up, and turned into a full bed. though looks alot like the above. Any 4-1-1?

So I was up north, in North Pole, Alaska and came across an Early Bay Sundial camper conversion.
d1e75aaa.jpg

Insides were mostly all gone, but looked decent for a '68 crossover. i looked up the Sundial conversion but only found splits so thought it to be neat.

-Eddie

Any idea what this conversion is?

Sink unit is in the wrong place in this photo
file-14.jpg

Soft wardrobe and poorly vendered rear unit with sliding door
IMG_0174.jpg

Bus came from the factory on the 24th August 1967 as a panel van and is fitted with an early turret top
file-8.jpg

file-10.jpg

I'm pretty sure I recall it being something like a Pan-Am or similar but there's no plate or markings to say for sure.

Need to check but it might say campmobile on the sink unit.

Bus looks a little different now and should be out for the volksworld show onwards next year.

Any help greatly received.

Anton

Looking at these two photos I think we have a winner!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/68sportsmobile/1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/68sportsmobile/2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't be many earlier if you read the print!

Latest posts