Our 1970 VW Camper, in need of lots of Love

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugger said:
Paul it was nice to meet you yesterday,sterling work going on with your van and with your dedication you will have it on the road in no time ;)

Cheers mate, always nice to meet up and chat about buses, its the best way to find out how to do and not to do stuff, could do with some nice weather now so I can crack on with it, got the rear wheel arch panel and outer middle sill done today, it always takes longer than you expect, see you again soon :D

Broke my camera yesterday, its got iron fillings in it from grinding :( , heres a few photos of work yesterday, should have more today, looks like nice weather :D about time we had some, cheers all

Photo104.jpg

Photo101.jpg

Photo100.jpg

Photo103.jpg

The red paint is just some old cello I had lying about, thought it might stop it rusting a bit.

Nice work there fella, good to see someone in the same boat as I am. It seems like a long way to the finish line!

Progress can be slow, but rewarding...keep it up.

I am also close to you in Taunton, there was some talk of a local gathering for the Somerset, Dorset and Devon EB crews. If it's not on the cards I will have a go at organising one!!

Matt

who? said:
Nice work there fella, good to see someone in the same boat as I am. It seems like a long way to the finish line!

Progress can be slow, but rewarding...keep it up.

I am also close to you in Taunton, there was some talk of a local gathering for the Somerset, Dorset and Devon EB crews. If it's not on the cards I will have a go at organising one!!

Matt

Sounds good to me mate, I got to get this bus on the road, don't want to miss the good weather this year, I don't know about you but with our vw a small job turns into a big one everytime, good luck with your bus mate hopefully meet up one day, Paul

Today is the 30th March and I thought i'd have the bus back on the road by now :( , but the weather seems against me and all my work is done outside, good weather today though got abit done to the vw today, hopefully another good days weather tommorrow as no work for me for 3 weeks :D
My compressor broke last week so rather than let the rust get to fresh metal I have hand painted some undercoat on osr, going to need lot of filler here, hopefully have new compressor next week.
Photo111.jpg

Photo110.jpg

Photo109.jpg

Photo108.jpg

Photo107.jpg

Photo106.jpg

Photo105.jpg

Hi!

Well done, coming along well. Weather good yesterday which helped - i drove past the other week - pipeed the horn, I have the white pop top westy, just been round seeing Rich, though sorry, didn't have time to stop and chat.

Will have to get a mini meet sorted for us somerset/dorset lot. I'm in Gillingham.

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Well done, coming along well. Weather good yesterday which helped - i drove past the other week - pipeed the horn, I have the white pop top westy, just been round seeing Rich, though sorry, didn't have time to stop and chat.

Will have to get a mini meet sorted for us somerset/dorset lot. I'm in Gillingham.

Alistair

Sounds like agood idea, nice bus by the way :D

Hi!

Cheers mate! it aint as straight or as shiny as Rich's bus though! Will come over sometime - though it'll be a few weeks time i think.
Keep up the good work!!

Alistair

Its been a while since I put an update on here as my camera broke, took a few photos recently, the bus is taking longer than i thought, nevermind after going to cruise to the prom at westonsupermare the weekend its gave me a boost, a few photos, will be more very soon.

Photo002.jpg

Photo004.jpg

Photo005.jpg

Photo006.jpg

Photo007.jpg

Photo009.jpg

Photo009.jpg

Photo010.jpg

Photo011.jpg

Photo012.jpg

Photo013.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Photo015.jpg

Photo025.jpg

Photo024.jpg

Photo026.jpg

Photo027.jpg

Photo028.jpg

Photo029.jpg

I chucked on some primer to see the highs and lows, do some finer filling today.

Had a good day on the bus, weather has been good too, nearly sorted out the n/s middle chassis, i hope that the weather keeps nice for a while, had a nice order from scolfields turn up this morning, so i have some work to do now, want to have it done by vanwest weekend so we can drive it to brean and chill out :D

Tidyed up 2 Wheels yesteday, had 6 but 3 of them turned out to be knackered, brought 2 locally so will be sorting out the rest soon, happy with result didn't spend to much time on them.
Photo045.jpg

and today got on with chassis
Photo031.jpg

Photo033.jpg

Photo035.jpg

Photo036.jpg

Photo037.jpg

Photo039.jpg

Photo041.jpg

Photo042.jpg

Photo044.jpg

nice one paul good to see your not advertising the seller of your new wheels :rocknroll:

Havn't posted photos for a while, so here we go,
Sorting out the sliding door
Photo009.jpg

Photo010.jpg

Photo011.jpg

Photo013.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Photo015.jpg

Photo016.jpg

Photo017.jpg

Photo018.jpg

Photo019.jpg

Photo020.jpg

Photo023.jpg

Photo024.jpg

Photo026.jpg

Had lots of problems with paint reactions, so I barcoated the drivers door prior to undercoating it, and it worked :D
Photo048.jpg

Photo050.jpg

Oh I rebuilt some of the engine too, heads had cracked between valves and was causing it to run shite, it would chuff out the exhaust, so new heads, valves, pistons, barrels and other bits and bobs, got the top end kit from heritage.

The new bits
Photo045.jpg

Photo029.jpg

Photo030.jpg

Photo041.jpg

Photo042.jpg

Photo043.jpg

Photo044.jpg

Since my last post I have done a bit to the bus, but also getting on with other projects,
Will be doing the front wheel tubs chassis and arches soon if it ever stops raining.

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Hi there!
It was great to meet you (and family) the other day (the other week actually! lol been busy)
And to see your lovely bus.........GOODWORK!

I really must get some done on mine, just too busy working on other peoples most of the time.

Thanks again :D

Toad

Latest posts