Our 1970 VW Camper, in need of lots of Love

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bristol was good mate, first trip out with poor brakes, shit hot :wink: good work same repair
had done

myfirstearly022.jpg

rich

Managed to do some work on the windscreen, Don't know if it was the correct way of doing it, Hopefully get some paint on the front pannel tommorrow, it took bloomin ages to get this done today, I let the front tyres down to get it halfway in our garage

VWCamper083.jpg

VWCamper085.jpg

The repair pannels were ok, but the rot was bigger so I used some 2mm plate which I welded in after cutting out the old corroded metal.

VWCamper092.jpg

VWCamper094.jpg

VWCamper112.jpg

Hoping to get some paint on the front pannel tommorrow, then I can put the windscreen in later, Cheers

Oh yea and sorted out the rot on the ns step,
Welded some nuts in to hold the bumper bracket,
VWCamper071.jpg

The rotted metal went on and on,
VWCamper081.jpg

VWCamper082-1.jpg

More photos here at our photobucket account http://photobucket.com/paulandabbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello and happy new year to all, I managed to get down to the coast over xmas, we went to a place called West bexington (between Chiesel Beach and Westbay), and then to Weymouth, It was a different way of spending Christmas and one that was great fun, it made a change to the normal day, The elements were good to us with no rain or ice that day too, and even the sun came out.
We made the wrong choice prior to xmas day and purchased a cheap justkampers windscreen seal, It took so long to fit with severe beatings, it dosn't cover the front lower corners correctly and is only just in on the drivers side, but I had left it to late to order another one so we made do with it, will now try to get a geniune one, hope it will be a better fit.
Camper looks ok from the front, shes going to keep me busy this year, hope it all goes good this year.

VWCamper128-1.jpg

VWCamper168.jpg

The wife's sense of humour lol.

VWCamper171.jpg

VWCamper174.jpg

VWCamper179.jpg

VWCamper182.jpg

VWCamper180.jpg

VWCamper190.jpg

VWCamper187.jpg

nice pics mate,parked in the same place two days before you trying to catch fish

Havn't managed to get much done this week, too cold, but am going to brave it this weekend and try to weld up the rear corners and trays, this is a few photos of abit of work I done this week when I had the time, I wanted to put the towbar up for sale at the same time.

Photo007.jpg

Photo008.jpg

Photo005.jpg

Photo002.jpg

Hello all, its been a while since I have got stuck into the bus due to work weather and things, but yesterday I thought i'd get back to sorting out our bus, Today I have had enough, its totally knackered underneath, I did expect some welding, but as the bus had a fresh mot when I brought her I had'nt relised how bad or dangerous she is and has been, There is more filler, fibreglass and very very very thick underseal than metal, the os sill is pure fibreglass and filler, the chassis is bad too, maybe the mot inspector had a white stick and let his guide dog do the mot inspection, not funny when you see how dangerous it is in my opinion.
I'm gonna go have a cup a tea

Photo039.jpg

Photo040.jpg

Photo042.jpg

Photo046.jpg

Photo049.jpg

Photo034.jpg

Looks like you are really making progress there, sometimes its a good idea just to walk away from it for a while, preferably read a load of magazine articles on nie usses that have had the same amount of work done, and show you how nice yours will be, hats off to you for the work you have done to date. Have a cuppa read a mag then get back out there, and get on with it! it will be awesome when its done!

Good luck

Mark

Thanks AxlFoley, Just finished my cuppa, you are right I'm not gonna give up, had my little moan now :D , looking through the schofield book and doing a shopping list, having a look at this it's really good found it posted on earlybay.com somewhere http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/ I'm really a old ford person so any advice is welcome, thanks again.

hello there, good to see another earlybay being restored and with a nice original interior too

btw if your worried about paint reacting you can get a product called BARCOAT, its a paint barrier which is superb, once your body work etc is done just spray over the filler/primer and your old paint and it forms a barrierto spray over and stops any bad reactions. have used it on a few of my panels and so far so good.

not overly exspensive either and really easy to spray as its premixed

pinheaduk said:
hello there, good to see another earlybay being restored and with a nice original interior too

btw if your worried about paint reacting you can get a product called BARCOAT, its a paint barrier which is superb, once your body work etc is done just spray over the filler/primer and your old paint and it forms a barrierto spray over and stops any bad reactions. have used it on a few of my panels and so far so good.

not overly exspensive either and really easy to spray as its premixed

thanks mate, have been having lots of probs with paint reacting, I have just found barcoat on ebay, gonna try a litre, cheers :D

Managed to have a day on the bus yesterday, and set to sorting out the middle os chassis, previously removed the 2 rear floor supports too by cutting the floor out,

Photo066.jpg

Photo073.jpg

Photo076.jpg

Photo081.jpg

Photo083.jpg

Photo082.jpg

Photo085.jpg

Photo086.jpg

Photo091.jpg

Photo089.jpg

Photo093.jpg

Photo095.jpg

Photo096.jpg

Photo097-1.jpg

You are doing a great job there Paul,very impressive welding! just think how good she will be when she is finished( i take it she is a girl ) :lol: I see my mate has absconded again!

Paul it was nice to meet you yesterday,sterling work going on with your van and with your dedication you will have it on the road in no time ;)

Latest posts