Overfilled oil!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Right then, it looks as though i have over filled me oil, like a plumb! :oops:

I have checked the dipstick and it is definately over. I only realised this when I had come back form a small journey, about 30 miles. Cleaned up the splatters on rear valance and dizzy etc. Looked all okay but still slightly over the full mark.

Have driven to a meet (10 miles tops) and no spray of oil on the tinware etc etc.

Went out at the weekend and did about 100 miles and the oil spray has occured again (spray on tinware by bottom flywheel) (not as bad as the first time). Have checked everywhere to find out where it has actually come from, but cant find anywhere???? not the breather on the oil filler as dry and fine, not the filler itself. Have also check the bottom pulley and it only has microscopic movement, so cant be that..

My question is where else can it come from????
Also is it worth draining the oil out and starting again, with the CORRECT level of oil??
What sort of damage is it going to do to the engine if any? don`t really want to have probs later. 8)

Please help chaps as I can`t think today :roll: :wink:

its probably just pressurised a bit, drain some of the oil out so its between min and max and see how it goes
it probably forced its way out of the bottom pulley.
dont stress too much dude :wink:

nice one chap! gonna have a tidy up (again!) of the engine on friday, will let you know how it goes :D

still having a few probs with this :roll:

fine on short journeys, but spat some out on a longer journey (motorway) I think that I may have to change the seal behind.

Cant quite remember is there 2 seals one inside and one outside? can anyone help? :D

The lower pulley which the fan goes on doesn't have a seal on it at all does it? :?

I would just empty a bit of oil out as they say above and see what happens 8)

Gonna dump the oil out to half full this weekend and then go for a nice long run and see what the deal is after that. Pretty sure there isonly a seal inside the crankcase, so fingers crossed that its not engine out time! :roll:

the bottom pulley doesnt have a seal, only the flywheel end has one.
the bottom pulley end relys on the thread on the bottom pully and an oil slinger/washer inside the case
unless you have the sandseal type pulley fitted which has a machine in seal.

id drop the oil, take the bottom pulley out and clean the threads and then refit, re fill with oil and see how it goes.
not much else you can do as the oil pushes out the bottom pulley due to crankcase pressure, your engine probably pressurised due to too much oil.
it should be okay as its a pretty new engine isnt it?

only a few years old. I will dump some of the oil out at the weekend (leave it about half full?) and have a drive to see whats what. let you know how it goes. Cheers for all the advice. :D

Right then after a busy weekend of weddings and van fixings, finally sorted the problem!

First of all drained the oil out a changed it. Only filled it back up to half way. Went out for a nice drive, got back and oil sprayed again! :evil:

On monday took the new bottom pulley wheel off, and had a look at it. If you compare it to the original VW one, the corkscrew thread where the oil is taken back to the engine is so shallow its almost smooth! :shock:

Surley this means that the oil cant go anywhere but out! (nice one Bruce, we got that sorted!)

So the plan is to ring up where I got it from and see what they can do, as it is obviously a flaw in the pulley.

We compared it to Bruces (Scat anodised with no holes) and its the same.

The depth of the pulley which goes in to the engine is the same, the only difference is the thread! I am gonna seek out a machine shop, to see if they can deepen the thread and test the theory, but I am more than sure this is the problem.

Will let you know how it goes. :D

Van now running like a dream again! yey! 8)

Latest posts