Paint shop recommendations in Midlands/Peterborough area

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
Hi
not been on for a while busy with work n stuff

Anyway seeing as my motorbike is looking like the crash I had has killed it and I'll be getting some cash..got me thinking on getting the westy ship shape.
I've reached out to Midland Paintwerks [only about 10mins ago!] I suspect there is an enormous waiting list and I also suspect that the sheer quality will be out of my budget...still I'll follow that up!

So wanted to hear from any other bus owners that have had a refresh or complete paint from a shop they'd recommend that did a good job and they felt were ok cost wise.
My budget might also be woefully undercooked I reckon £2.5k I have to spare ish with a possible stretch if it means a better end result.

And before the haters- I appreciate that its all about prep prep prep, and you get what you pay for...which is why I could stretch.

Of course if the average bus paint job for something good is £5k then I'm stuck!!

I can borrow a trailer and could semi strip the bus before hand to help minimise costs

thanks

I'm guessing , once you trailer it somewhere distance doesnt metter so much, to a point?

http://www.spikesvintagerestorations.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is 92 miles, so similar to Stoke, no idea on prices though.

?

I was hoping there would be more replies - not everyone can have the show winning paint, that lets face it, most would like it.
My paint is getting tired and does need some repairs that would mean some repaint, and I thought I'd maybe go for a overall repaint.

so I guess, Yes, I'm after the cheaper end of the spectrum, above nasty cellulose blowover but definetly not money no object £10k+ on a paint job...I'd be scared to park it or drive it!

ta Dubz

A few years back, a lad I knew had his done by a bus company near Perkins in Peterborough. I can't remember the name but know it was near GSF. It might be worth an ask as they're not a spray business as such, so could be cheaper?

Think that's who did mine bloke called Dave, worked in a unit unit in Grettons, not spoken to him in years and the units have been rebuilt...couldn't get in on Sat to check...

Keep them coming peeps....

You could try Creative Coachworks at Wem in Shropshire, ask for Alan. He is a first class body and paint man, and did my bus a couple of years back. His work featured in Volksworld magazine when one of the staff writers handed over his rag top Beetle to him. Stunning end result.

But for £2k-£3k you are not going get a bite from anybody worth their salt, IMHO.

BTW, what's with the 'reaching out'? Do you mean you rang them up? :roll: The only thing I reach out to is the bog roll. :lol:

Johnsons Autoworks in Wymeswold are amazing. Give Steve a call and he'll sort you out.

http://www.johnsonautoworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Darren, the guy at Grettons was Dave Quantrill, I know his sons, and I believe he's taking it easy now. I can always ask though and I think I still have Daves number too.

Getting my early bay resprayed by Biagio at WorldWideWagens at Souldrop, which is just north of Bedford.
http://www.worldwildwagens.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/World-Wild-Wagens-160370450677776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6-8 weeks for a full external prep and resprayed, including outside of pop top and engine bay for £6-7k mark. Judging by what I have seen so far, I can't fault the quality of the work.

here are my tips for paint guys,

without a shadow of doubt the best painter in the world is Dave Haywood - http://www.haywood-classic-custom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 07966477235 (Kenilworth near coventry)

call that the premium guy,

my general go to guy for paint (i.e. not looking for show winner but a proper good job) Rick walters - +44 7543 812069 (Buxton)

hope that helps

KevH said:
You could try Creative Coachworks at Wem in Shropshire, ask for Alan. He is a first class body and paint man, and did my bus a couple of years back. His work featured in Volksworld magazine when one of the staff writers handed over his rag top Beetle to him. Stunning end result.

But for £2k-£3k you are not going get a bite from anybody worth their salt, IMHO.

BTW, what's with the 'reaching out'? Do you mean you rang them up? :roll: The only thing I reach out to is the bog roll. :lol:

sorry I was in numpty office mode - yes I meant I rang them up

It is looking like I need to spend more cash, the issue for me was Stu wouldn't give a ballpark [I understand why it just doesn't help me!]

Irishpete said:
Johnsons Autoworks in Wymeswold are amazing. Give Steve a call and he'll sort you out.

http://www.johnsonautoworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks - I will give them a call to at least confirm my suspicions that I'm woefully under budget!

Marvel said:
Hi Darren, the guy at Grettons was Dave Quantrill, I know his sons, and I believe he's taking it easy now. I can always ask though and I think I still have Daves number too.

Hi Paul - yes please that would be good - I only had his landline as he never answered his mobile PM please dude!

TheHewsonFamily said:
Getting my early bay resprayed by Biagio at WorldWideWagens at Souldrop, which is just north of Bedford.
http://www.worldwildwagens.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/World-Wild-Wagens-160370450677776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6-8 weeks for a full external prep and resprayed, including outside of pop top and engine bay for £6-7k mark. Judging by what I have seen so far, I can't fault the quality of the work.

thanks for that - not too far and also confirms the budget needs to double!

woolie said:
here are my tips for paint guys,

without a shadow of doubt the best painter in the world is Dave Haywood - http://www.haywood-classic-custom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 07966477235 (Kenilworth near coventry)

call that the premium guy,

my general go to guy for paint (i.e. not looking for show winner but a proper good job) Rick walters - +44 7543 812069 (Buxton)

hope that helps

it does help - it gives me more recommendations to follow up and see what the prices might be and the availability

cheers

I think the problem with "ball park" figures on paint jobs is the issues that can present themselves once the bus is stripped and rubbed back.
Many of the previous repairs/bodges/etc would have to be corrected and carefully blended in to the body work.

A good painters reputation could be severely damaged taking on a job for say 4k and then subsequently find another 4-6k worth of work hidden under the bodywork
For me if I was ever to get our bus a fresh coat of paint I would budget around 6-7k mark and I know there is no filler or previous repairs as its still in 99% OG paint
But that is very unlikely as we like Murphy looking just how he does

Fingers crossed you find somewhere suitable :D

Have to agree with StuF, I am really lucky to have a solid UK RHD bus that didn't need too much repairing and welding. The budget could easily have grown a few more £1000s if there had been previous bodge repairs.

StuF said:
I think the problem with "ball park" figures on paint jobs is the issues that can present themselves once the bus is stripped and rubbed back.
Many of the previous repairs/bodges/etc would have to be corrected and carefully blended in to the body work.

A good painters reputation could be severely damaged taking on a job for say 4k and then subsequently find another 4-6k worth of work hidden under the bodywork
For me if I was ever to get our bus a fresh coat of paint I would budget around 6-7k mark and I know there is no filler or previous repairs as its still in 99% OG paint
But that is very unlikely as we like Murphy looking just how he does

Fingers crossed you find somewhere suitable :D

Thanks -
I do 'get' it, What I wanted was a
"if we find a few minor dings to straighten and nothing major then it's about X, if we had to do a rust repair that takes about 2 days ON AVERAGE to do and therefore is Y, then I could work out I have X and maybe 3 Y's so an overall figure is Z, plus 15%"

That was my point on average or typically it is this, I fully understand if they rub an area down - I was never thinking of bare metal - and they find a nasty repair then thats the contingency.

What I don't have is an unlimited budget - so I don't want to think its going to cost me £5K, get it to the paint shop and then I get a bill for £15K that I have to sell the bus to pay it!

I cannot take the bus to the shops as its not on the road, this really was a top level [office numpty speak!] ballpark is around X. There must be a 'sweet spot'-typical price paid. That might well be £6K-£7K for a pretty decent will last type job?? :shock:

OR are we saying that it can vary from £3K to £20k

[Either which way it looks like my original plan is as flawed as modern politics, and probably as under budgeted!]
Time to save the pennies, and whilst I do get some more quotes...maybe I will need to get the bus mot'd & running so I can go visit some of the ones suggested!

thanks all for your input

I would say between 5 and 7k for a great job that will stand the test of time and pass muster for a clean shiny bus. That's from speaking to people who have had various levels of paint from complete resto bare metal to blow overs.

Most places if not all will want to do the prep themselves as its 90% prep and 10% paint, especially on our long slab sided buses.

If you complete all the pre paint strip down and then post paint reassembly yourself - fresh rubbers/seals/interior and so on big savings can be made in labour costs.

I am sure if the bus isn't a basket case with loads and loads of panels to replace and welding it will be much closer to the 5k mark than 7 however I am no painter.

Latest posts