Painted Interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfunkyfresh

Reaction score
I've tried searching..

I'm wondering if anyone has bothered trying to sand and paint the westy interior. Mines looking dated and I thought a nice white would look better than the chipped fakeness I have in there at the moment.

Someone else must have done this to try and save some cash too, surely.

Cheers

SFF

This one in the for sales has a painted interior:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About 12 years ago I painted the shabby mahogany units of my 77 Devon in cream and renewed tops in yacht varnished ply. It made it very modern feeling and looked the nuts I thought. If I can dig out pics over the weekend ill post them. It was a bit similar to that Westy in the ad I guess, colour wise.

Hi,

Maybe you can get some fablon type stuff to cover, maybe some commercial type stuff, perhaps a little thicker?

I have some new wood panels for the sides etc, and on another thread, someone suggested this:

http://www.osmouk.com/previewpage.cfm?bookid=book001&chapter=5&page=108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a white colour on here, and another white in the exterior section, if you have bare wood - or the wood panels, then maybe another stain or finish?

The cherry looks nice in satin matt, might use this one myself?!

Cheers,

Alistair

I thought of fablon but then I don't know if you can get decent sheets to cover a westy wardrobe etc.

That white doesn't look too bad. I think I might have to pull out the sander and give it a coat of paint then..

I thought there would be plenty of people doing this on the cheap haha.

superfunkyfresh said:
I thought of fablon but then I don't know if you can get decent sheets to cover a westy wardrobe etc.

That white doesn't look too bad. I think I might have to pull out the sander and give it a coat of paint then..

I thought there would be plenty of people doing this on the cheap haha.

Hi,

If you have a westy, then the wood is a formica laminate, so sanding it wont make any difference to staining, unless you remove all the laminate and start again, but as it's plywood, the raw finish may not be too pretty. Would be a shame to paint over a westy interior, only for re-sale issues really, but wonder if you could fablon and then spray lacquer on for more shine? You'll still have the OG laminate underneath.

As for fablon on the wardrobe, there is a join anyway on the original laminate, 2 pieces are butted together with matching grain, so wouldn't matter about a join.

You can buy new laminate and re veneer the whole thing, though not a cheap option, looks nice with new trim, in fact would look like new units. Rich on here (robins) re veneered all his units.

You know you can get cars wrapped in vinyl, wonder if the same could be said for a interior, you could have it finish in anything you want, the original westy veneer being a ideal smooth surface to cover.

Cheers,

Alistair

Mines covered in a vinyl film, came from a vinyl graphix company and done by the po.
Looks good, been done a while now, i have seen rolls of similar stuff on fleabay in lots of colours :msn4:

Not great pics but gives you the general idea 8)

You could remove the Formica just use a iron
With a damp towel to stop it burning.
It lifts of gradually!

You will need to clean the ply surface back till it's smooth
Using thinners then sand paper.

There are lots of Formicas to choose from.

To apply new Formica would I recommend
Taking it to a joiners shop shouldn't take
More then a day.

You could try yourself but you would
Have to acquirer a trimmer/contact adhesive
Lots of wood beads

O and some patients

Latest posts