Painting Westfalia Pop-yop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacebiscuit

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has painted a westfalia fibreglass pop-top? There was a recent article in Volksworld detailing restoration steps,before apply the top coat it said to use a textured stone chip paint. I was under the impression that the finish was smooth rather than textured, or have I just seen too many restored pop-tops done in this way?

The guide also fails to give any details of the top coat used, I have painted the rear luggage section using a compressor with an off-white yacht paint, but it was not a gloss. The finish was great but this time around I want to try the gloss finish. Is this harder to achieve?

Any tips welcome - thanks.

I've not been around VW buses that long, so it's not a surprise that I've never heard of a 'pop-yop' :mrgreen:

We painted ours, outside with 2k paint, standard primer then colour, we sold it 2 years ago and it still looked good, no cracking or anything untoward, make sure you specify non iso paint tho

I thought you had to use gel coat paint which is thicker and for the fibreglass base. Maybe if it’s already painted it’s ok to use other paint on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
I thought you had to use gel coat paint which is thicker and for the fibreglass base. Maybe if it’s already painted it’s ok to use other paint on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No need, it wasn't painted previously
normal prep, primer and topcoat, absolutely no problems with it.

What ever you do not paint it with stone chip it will leave a textured finish and take ages to flatten if you do not like it

Latest posts