Petrol filler cap hinge - cannot get it to work right

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
Hi,

I cannot for the life of me get my fuel filler flap to work correctly. I removed it to paint the van and now can't seem to get the metal clip (that I presume creates the spring action) to attach correctly.

Am I going mad? It doesn't look like it has bent out of shape but I cannot seem to get the clip to thread through where it is supposed to and reach to the pin on the other side. It's either too long or too short. I thought I had it, but once I attached it to the van, it would not open fully.

Any tips for reattaching it to the van?

Cheers,
Termite.

I struggled - ! It WILL go on with a bit of fiddling about - From memory, I ended up aligning it with the flap in a sort of half open position, still with room to get my fingers in.
Biggest problem is NOT scratching the paintwork in the process.
Am sure some of the guys here are a lot more practised, and will advise exactly how.
Good luck !

I doesn't clip on to the pin does it? pretty sure it clips to the press metalwork...if you know what I mean.

I'll try and get a picture taken back at the lock up and post it later.

:)

Got that pic...
filler_flap_clip01.jpg

... :)

I had completely forgotten about this post until I got round my mum's house today to work on the van and saw the petrol cap flapping about!

Thanks for the pic moler, it looks like I have been going about reattached the hinge completely the wrong way. I will give it another go next week. :)

Latest posts