RED - ‘71 RHD Tin Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePhil

Reaction score
Here is RED.
Front.jpg

Interior.jpg

BJ9cdwBWkKGrHqMOKjsEwQKvWdqKBMMPntkZRw_3.jpg

Like many people on here I must have been wearing my rose coloured glasses when I bought our bus. Therefore I missed a few things, like the rust, & I also underestimated the time it would take to complete the few “little” jobs I had identified. Hey ho such is life.

I’m enjoying everything I learn about the bus & the VW mechanics immensely. This is my first aircooled vehicle & I’m impressed by the simplicity & complexity at the same time.

Just a quick thank-you to all those of you who have posted their bus or resto. pics on here as I’ve spent hours studying many of them. I hope posting my 10 penne’th may help someone too.
Our bus “RED” isn’t, & never will be, a show winner & our eventual aim is to use it as a camper. Therefore it needs to be safe & reliable. It may get a bit low.

First I had to sort the tinwear which was partly missing. (Cue the first of many trips to Barclay at Status just on the other side of town.)
Off came the heat exchangers which needed the flaps repairing.
Once sorted everything seems to be OK in the heating & cooling department. (I was later to find that I had no stat & that the flaps had been welded open.)

I learned from my Dad that you always check out the brakes as soon as you can, so I set about the rears first. The backplates were pretty bent where somebody had tried to lever off the drums so I fitted new ones. One cylinder & new springs brought them up to standard. While the hubs were off I did seals & bearings where needed. Wheel bearing nuts were a pig & I needed the obligatory scaffold bar & lots of agro to crack one side. When I realised how cheap the nuts were I chopped off the other side rather than waste all that time. The front brakes seemed OK for now.

Drive shafts were replaced next & I was now happy enough to go off on a camping weekend. Having just set-up the rear brakes I stopped a few times en route to check they weren't getting hot. They were & I laid under to back off the adjuster a tad, in a layby. Virtually the next passing car happened to be a beetle. The driver pulled over to see if we were OK – what camaraderie. He was on his way home from working at McLaren – Thanks again if you read this.
All went well with the camping weekend & the layout worked well for our needs so even though we’re going to gut it & redo the interior we’ll keep the same set-up.

The only issue we had was a whiff of petrol which I kept getting. When I got back I lifted the rear deck covering to reveal a neat (plasma cut) hole that somebody had cut presumably to access a fuel filler hose joint. It was neatly folded back but not sealed. I fitted a cover with gasket. No more fumes.

My list of stuff I needed kept growing & I went to each show with a big shopping list expecting to find everything there, in good condition, sold by fellow enthusiasts at bargain prices. Mmmm.
It seems that there is an increasing supply of newly manufactured items, some at very reasonable cost if not all at of the best quality. However when it comes to rust free Californian (actually battered, rusty & maybe possibly imported via southern USA) items, well we are all being sold the story that there’s a very limited & diminishing supply so we have to keep raising the cost exponentially. I’m not convinced so I’ll stay out of that game.
I have however been able to buy a few items I’ve needed off guys on here at reasonable, fair prices. Thanks, & when I find I’ve got bits left over I’ll do the same.

I bought a job lot of outriggers & jacking points & set to work hacking out the nsf corner first. The front edge of the inner & middle sill were missing so I had to add some metal to them. Further back they were OK.
The chassis had a few very thin areas so I had to cut out some of that too. I’ve tried not to chop too much at once & seem to be getting on OK.

NSfrontchassisrailinnerplate1.jpg

I’m managing to bend cut & weld various sections to resemble what, I think, was there originally. I keep checking the opposite side & other’s buses when unsure. Sometimes making very slow progress.
NSfrontchassisrailouterfab-1.jpg

My next big item to buy & fit was the front beam. I bought a lhd unit from someone on here who had gone the Red9 route & then sold his bus! I made a wooden frame so I could lower the beam on my own & without a proper trolley jack. This all went quite well & after much persuasion it came free to reveal even rustier areas than I had already seen. I’m glad I’m consigning it to the bin.
DSCN2937.jpg

The new beam had no steering stops on it so I grafted the ones off the old one. I don’t know whether they should be there but they look & feel right. The beam also had height adjusters fitted but they were stiff as hell. I persuaded the living daylights out of them by alternately whacking them back & forth to work them free. (I may have rounded over the holes that the leaf springs insert into as I had a job getting the springs back in.) They may need a revisit in future.

DSCN3262.jpg

I fitted new ball joints to the trailing arms. I used the tips on here for removing the old ones. Getting the new ones in was too big a job for my arbour press but the butterfly press at work did the job. Just.
Overhauled & painted hubs etc were refitted without issue.
Refitting the beam was quite straightforward, though I had to make shims as the chassis legs were slightly narrower than the new beam. Better than the other way round.

One of the brake callipers was badly corroded so I decided it would be a waste of effort rebuilding them. I replaced both with later model callipers plus spacers. It’s too easy to press “add to basket” on the net.

I then modded the gear change shaft to clear the beam adjusters & fitted new bushes.

DSCN3152.jpg

Cont:

I could now drop the bus & turn it round on the driveway to allow me to continue the offside facing the house & away from the weather. Yes this is a driveway project.
The crisp gear selection even on that short run & 53 point turn down the drive & back was so slick it cheered me up no end. Perhaps all that work I am putting in will all be worth while in the end. Little things!
I backed the bus up onto ramps at the rear using only the handbrake to stop. That was fun. So I decided I should finish off the brakes.
Having my daughter help bleed the brakes was a pleasant trip down memory lane. Calling out the “On, Off, On, Off” that my Dad used to call out to me – on numerous occasions. I don’t think we ever took a car to a garage to be repaired.

The offside chassis was similar to the ns with the added fun of the brake pressure restrictor valve being in the way.
Once I’d removed the nsf outrigger & jacking point I found that the middle sill was missing altogether. So off came the outer & inner sills & I cut back the side panel high enough to clear all the dents & filler. It was then I came to realise that the rear wheel arches are actually from a later bus. This quite p**d me off as I thought this was just lazy or corner cutting. However it was pointed out to me that the range of panels we have now haven’t always been available. I’ll leave them for later.

DSCN3360.jpg

DSCN3352.jpg

New sills were fitted & bits of floor were chopped out to make way for good metal. Only a few bits at the front & rear corners luckily. Top hats needed some repairs at the ends.

DSCN3357.jpg

Next I started cutting out the osr wheel arch tub as it had been sort of repaired before but was messy.
As I did this I kept getting a slight whiff of fuel & realised that I was actually getting a bit close to the tank. As I’d be welding there soon I decided to remove it.
Of course the engine (only 4 bolts !!) had to come out first.
I was actually looking forward to the exercise, which is the stuff of legends. What a doddle – mainly thanks to the removable rear valance.

Enginetrolley.jpg

Engineontrolley.jpg

I had a quick play with the engine just to see if I needed to order any bits. Rather than wait until the MOT race at the end.
It has lots of end float & I think I’m maxed out on shims but it will go back like that. It seems OK & I don’t want to do a rebuild.
I repaired & painted the tinwear. Inside the fan housing I found the welded up flaps. This was because I had no stat. 67Bay helpfully supplied me with one & the bits so that’s that sorted.
Everything else looks OK.

Almost as soon as I got the bus I decided I needed an oil temp gauge. I bought a standard unit with sender that I’ll fit into the pressure relief spring retaining plug. I’ve drilled & tapped one on my lathe but I’ll wait until I’ve got her back on the road to fit it.
Everything I do just now has got to be for the MOT.

Out came the tank next to reveal a quite nice clean tank & compartment. Then I dug around & found a hole near the outlet pipe hole. Ah well at least the repair won’t be seen. Later.

Back to the wheel arch. I chopped out the old & welded in some new metal & it looks OK.

About this time I met Nugsy who was selling a few surplus items & coincidentally lives nearby. He sold me a few bits & gave me some others (thanks Karl) & he also pointed me in the direction of (IMHO) a very useful book. I only wish I had seen it earlier. It has lots of pics & drawings of virtually all the stuff I’d been agonising over. I bought one the next day.

DSCN3362.jpg

That’s about me up to date so far. Pressing on with os floor & side panel before moving back to rear chassis rails adjacent to the rear suspension cross member. Then I can fit rear outriggers & jps. Winter’s coming but thankfully holding off yet.

DSCN3260.jpg

My temp workshop.
DSCN3370.jpg

To be continued:

Good to see your blog up and running. Seeing the pics of it when you first got it, as you say it looks a really tidy bus and liking the Granada ghia wheels.

Also impressed with you making all your own panels, saves a massive amount of money and as you say prices seem to be going up daily

Any time you need a hand just yell and i'll do likewise :)

Great work you are doing and love the ingenous engine trolley 8)

Keep us posted :)

Over a year since my last update - where does time go?
Last year was a virtual write off. Work meant me travelling extensively so when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was lay under the bus at the end of the day. Let's be honest the weather wasn't the best either. Bring on 2013. It started well & I used the conservatory to strip & rebuild the engine. (We don't use, or heat this in winter, so it wasn't as drastic as it sounds). Credit to wife who never batted an eyelid at this. ( We once had a frogeye bonnet in the living room over Christmas while the paint hardened).

Had the oil pump endplate polished as the new wasn't exactly perfect. 'tis now.

Had an idea about making an indicator to show when cooling flaps are operating. Mountain bike brake cable - we'll see.

So this year so far I've been pottering with this & that & doing a lot of pondering but not really doing much. Building a new shed & having the garage roof replaced were all mere distractions. Anyway I've set myself a new target & that's the back2basics weekend on 13th-15th September. It's very local & I aim to be there. Full blown sleeping in the bus is the aim, with a fall back position of just the MOT & sleeping in the tent. Approx 2 months away.

Ruddy hot weather just now is still limiting me to non-overall wearing pottering.
Test fired the Eberspacher diesel heater in the mid day sun & it all burst into life - pumping out an extra 1800W into the already scorching hot day. (Had to bridge the thermostat as ambient temp was off the scale) . Well chuffed as it had last run 11 yrs ago. German eng. Installed that in walk through floor area facing rearward. Will sit next to leisure battery & will box this all in with a low lid so we can still step through. Not seen this before - there may be a reason for that!

Next sorted the front bumper step mountings which would appear to be in the wrong position on the new step I had installed. Rivnuts inserted. Job done.

Noticed that a lot of the new kit I had installed was starting to rust. New front beam & all suspension, steering & brake components. Cleaned & painted all bits with waxoyl. This made me realise that you can't expect to progress round the whole bus & deal with this later - it's going to take longer than you think & you need to tidy up & finish off each section at a time. I went back to the engine bay/gearbox tunnel & decided to finish off cleaning off, treating & painting that area. I'd already had a quick play but had now inadvertently prepared a whole new area for rust cultivation. Lesson learned. One bit at a time- particularly if you are going to get interrupted. TdF is current diversion!

More soon - Phil.

Here's my joblist - which I'm sure will grow as I progress.

Replace:
Rear brake pipes - flexible & rigid
Outirigger osr
Jacking point osr
Outirigger osr
Jacking point nsr
Front x member
Rear x member

Repair:
Dress welds front chassis rails
Top hat repair nsr
Chassis rail nsr
Fit elect conduit rear to front
Modify engine bay wiring for alternator
Repair floor nsr
Paint all rear engine bay & chassis legs etc
Tack weld lower panel inner osr

Later stuff
Heater outlets rear inside install
Overhaul heater outlets
Build rear fuse box & relays
Build front fuse box & relays - leisure
Paint new carb air box

Oh & refit interior.

Since my last update I've made some progress but even getting out there almost every evening & all weekends, things still don't seem to progress anywhere near as fast as I think they should be.

Stuff completed recently:
Rear x member
Outirigger osr
Jacking point osr
Wheel arch nsr
Floor repair nsr
Chassis rail in front of rear beam nsr
Replaced both flexible rear brake pipes.

Whilst scraping off the underseal from under the wheel arch I decided to have a go with a gizmo that my parents had bought me many moons ago. It's a rotary paint stripper for use in a power drill. It has flailing rods of steel which thrash the surface to be stripped. What a vicious beast it is. It ripped it all off to bare metal, paint, rust - in seconds. This is it.

I loved the advert on the box ! ASA would love that now !

I've booked my place at Back2Basics so that's me committed now. 4 Weeks to go. Lots of welding, engine install & MOT before then.

Got slightly distracted by this.........

Decided to get this, repair it at leisure & swap with mine. £50 off eBay but a bit of a round trip to collect. Still worth it though.

Back to the important stuff - jacking point & outrigger nsr next.
Then it's front x-member.

Onward - upward.

Phil.

Could u post a pic of your heater please, i myself have a diesel erb and not quite sure how it all works, cheers

Here is the Eberspacher diesel heater. It is a D1L & gives out 1800W. As I've mentioned previously I am mounting it in the walkthrough area. Cold air will be drawn in from the footwell area & hot air blown into the rear seating/living area.
The leisure battery will be positioned next to it.

and from underneath.

Combustion air will be drawn in from the port wheelarch & exhausted under the starboard.

I don't think the tyre will ever get close enough to do any damage.

Well Back2Basics looms so pressing on as much as I can. The last few weeks have made reasonable progress getting the outriggers & jacking points fitted. Lots of prep time & suddenly you end up with a big chuck of progress when you actually get to do some welding.

Next out came the front cross member. I had just bought some 1mm cutting discs & they are very good. Better than my last & quite flexible too. Carefully trying not to cut out too much as these really are hot knife through butter. The x-member wasn't in too bad a state with only some rot at the bottom - which had been plated over. Surprise surprise. The ends were the worst bit.

I don't have pics yet but for ease I cut the new part in half & rejoined it in situ.

This now got me to the stage for dropping & turning the bus round ready for engine install which I had targeted for this long B/H weekend. It was quite good to see it move after well over a year - even if it did have to be pushed.

Here we are in our new parking space ready for final (hopefully) steps.

So next were pre-engine install check. The much maligned Haynes manual has a good checklist for this IMO. This I followed & was all set to fit said engine. (As stated previously, rebuilt in Feb & kept under wraps until now. Where did that 6 months go?)

I then moved my trolley forward & stopped a little to fast. The engine nose dived off the trolley & hit the deck face first. I quickly grabbed it & pulled it back upright (goodness knows what I thought was wrong with it laying there for a moment) but I heaved it upright onto my shin. Bruising me as well as my pride. I also damaged the rear tinwear apron.
The main damage was to the outlet pipe of the left heat exchanger. The pipe had compressed into the housing & trapped the heat control flap. The rest of the day was spent dismantling this by prising open the folded joints & grinding off the few welds that hold it together. The parts bent back into shape quite easily & after welding it up I sealed the edges with Halfords exhaust repair compound. Still good after its last use quite a while ago. Usually you open old tins & they've gone hard & useless.

So that was that. Engine in next ....... Shin pads ready.

Phil.

Well after a couple of weeks of concerted effort I have made some progress.
Engine installed & front crossmember now in. So that's the end of the chassis welding - at last.

Back to the engine & connected up all the ancillaries. Decided to spin up the engine & get oil pumped around it before letting it fire up - as it's now had a full rebuild.
Turned the key, for the first time in 2 yrs, & .... Click. The starter solenoid engaged but that was it.
First step was to text & cancel the MOT for the following day. Rats.
Out with the starter & it seemed OK on the bench but I swapped it with my spare anyway. Engine turned but not exactly enthusiastic. Perhaps it needs more oomph. I'll get my car fired up & jump leads hooked up for the next shot - with motion lotion too.
Had an early finish & decided to have a relaxing bath. Couldn't believe how much welding rash I had.

Put the MOT back to next Monday now. 5 days before my target - Back2Basics5.
Fingers crossed, still confident. More 2200 finishes though I think.

Phil.

Shame about the motor not turning but the finishing straight is now very close :)

After swapping over the starter motor I realised that it was actually the battery which was at fault. Both the batteries I had lying around were next to useless.
So I ordered a replacement & set to with all the other bits & pieces ready for the MOT.
Handbrake cables, adjust brakes, bleed brakes, connect speedo etc. Each time I thought I was just about there I'd see something else. The checklist was growing as fast as I was ticking things off.
Finally got round to trying to fire up the engine on Saturday - 2 days before the MOT. I used my car to give it some oomph & it spun very well but no joy.
Back to basics - Fuel - Spark - all OK.
I'm afraid to say that I'd set the timing wrong. The rotor arm was way out at TDC. I'd screwed up.
Reset this & it fired up instantly. Phew.
A bit blowy at the exhaust but they never are the quietest of engines & I couldn't see anything obvious so I pressed on.
Everything checked out OK so I left the battery on charge all night ready for MOT the following day.
It fired up straight away & off we went. I kept the engine running for most of the test but after stopping it we had to push it back of th eramp. The tester bump started it when I jumped back in :msn4:
All went well & we now have a ticket.

Here's the ubiquitous cheesy shot............

MOT on Monday, Back2Basics show ticket arrived on Tuesday, Tax disc & new battery arrived on Thursday - I couldn't get the battery to stay behind the wiper blade :lol:

So we are mobile - legally.
I piled a load of stuff in & pootled 5 miles down the road to B2B for the weekend. Result.

Got back home & discovered that the exhaust noise was due to someone leaving a few loose bolts on the pre-heater pipe flanges. :roll:
I can now hear the engine itself & I like what I hear. Though I say it myself it's very sewing machine like. Much happier now.

Now it's back to the proper interior fit incl. fridge etc. Beyond the MOT .........

Phil.

RePhil said:
Now it's back to the proper interior fit incl. fridge etc. Beyond the MOT .........quote]

Congrats on the MOT Phil and good to see you at B2B

You just know your gunna keep at least one bit of that zebra come negative tiger print interior :lol: :lol:

Good work - must be a great feeling to get out to your first event.

I see you mentioned the 1mm cutting disks, have to say i only discovered them the other day, what a result they are! just make the job so much easier :D

Colours are Chianti red & unidentified white.
VW did a chianti red on later cars which is nothing like this.

Awesome is a bit too much of a compliment as it is nowhere near perfect. Pic is of best side :msn4: but thanks anyway.

Phil.

RePhil said:
Colours are Chianti red & unidentified white.
VW did a chianti red on later cars which is nothing like this.

Awesome is a bit too much of a compliment as it is nowhere near perfect. Pic is of best side :msn4: but thanks anyway.

Phil.

It's definitely awesome because I'm getting mine back from the body shop in the exact same colour next month

Latest posts