Please, Urgent help required for StuF on here..... (Engine)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myvanway

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please anyone help....
StuF (A member of on here most of you know) Is after a 1600 (stock air cooled) pistons x2 (85.5) and cylinder head for his Bus as soon as possible please, (Stuck at a garage with engine out So now if possible) :)

He is based in Lincolnshire.
When I say asap I mean were off to Spa on monday! so I ask anyone who can help it will be deeply appreciated.

Will obviously pay for the parts.

PM Myself (Paul) or StuF (Stuart) direct please. :D
(Also please share this thread where possible throughout the VW community. Face book/VZI other forums etc) 8)

StuF's contact thread below:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=44243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theres a drink and warm hugs for any one who can save the day as time is running out fast. :sign0009:

Cheers guys.

Paul......... And Stu if he could get WiFi!! :(

:D

Im in Surrey ( 10 mile south of guildford ) and have been on the beer

but if there are peeps out there who can do pass it on down the line

Ive got a set of barrels and pistons ( new or as new ) and two dodgy but essentially working cylinder heads some broken fins

your welcome to them ( we can sort out a beer or whatever another day ) i just can't get them to you

Chico

Cheers Paul for posting the thread in my absence - been a traumatic couple of days
Had a rolling road setup yesterday with great results - made 32 hp at the wheels!!

On the way home after about half an hours drive has some popping banging and rough running - I obviously returned to the garage this morning and asked them to investigate
One of the valve guides has shattered smashing the piston to bits, damaged the head and trashed a spark plug

Cracked valve guide

Stripping engine looking to find the damage

Piston isnt very well

Head not much better

Off to SPA next week ?

Any help really appreciated - have tomorrow to drive the country to collect parts and monday to reassemble

Anyone know if loosing the dome on a replacement piston would make any difference??

image_32.jpeg

Compared to

Nightmare!

Hope you get it sorted mate, I probably got the Pistons in my lockup but it'll take you all day to get them and get home! :?

Bummer!!
Make sure you have 4 similar pistons, as the domed pistons have a lower compression/ratio and this is not good for the power balance in the engine!

StuF said:
Anyone know if loosing the dome on a replacement piston would make any difference??

image_32.jpeg

Compared to

It's hard to tell from seeing that one piston but if they are low compression pistons I have a full set that you are can have.Sorry no barrels or cylinder head. I am about 10 mile north of Durham. If they are any good to you send me PM and will give you contact details.
Robert

dustrat said:
It's hard to tell from seeing that one piston but if they are low compression pistons I have a full set that you are can have.Sorry no barrels or cylinder head. I am about 10 mile north of Durham. If they are any good to you send me PM and will give you contact details.
Robert

Pm'd you Robert

Many thanks everyone for your advice, offers of parts and even complete replacement engines - such a fantastic community we have on here. 8)
I managed to nip in the car today and make a quick journey from Lincoln to Durham to collect the gear to fix my engine! 160 miles each way :lol:
Cheers Robert for the pistons, barrel and heads! You Sir are a gentleman

Just need to spend tomorrow getting the engine rebuilt, refitted and working!

The parts!

They cleaned up well!

Fingers crossed we will be sorted in 24 hrs!

Only too pleased to help. Sorry you didn't have time for coffee. You have been busy cleaning those heads. Will let you know if lottery numbers come up, hope so !!
Robert

Im happy to say after a full engine rebuild today I am finally home with a sweet running bus!
4 new pistons fitted, barrels honed, replacement cylinder head rebuilt and reconditioned and the whole thing re-rolling roaded and tuned
Running sweet now and off on our holidays tomorrow - just in time!!

Will update my build thread with some pics of the oily bits!! 8)

Latest posts