power steering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammac

Reaction score
has anybody fitted one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Type-2-Bay-Window-Power-steering-conversion-kit-Camper-Split-Bus-Early-T2-/251671652930?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3a98ccaa42#ht_1289wt_958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was looking at installing this one and chatted to the guy via email and was really helpful etc but couldn't afford it. I've found out since the difference between this one and the expensive one is that the expensive one has a relay which turns the power steering off at a certain speed for motorway driving etc when this one you have to do it manually.
Hope that helps

Yes the one is more expensive but it is worth it, things like guarantee's and the finish etc.
I want one as soon as I can afford it. :lol: :lol: (saving! ) Litesteer is best.

J & P
:D :D :D

Don't like the look of these things are they legal? :?
I know a lot of Brazilian Bays have pas, which kinda sums it up IMHO.
I find my steering quiet light, go to the Gym it's a hell of a lot cheaper. :lol: ;)

Privatejobs has one of these fitted and the difference is insane. I believe it is from a Corsa B. My brother got me the steering from the Corsa C but it won't work in the same way.

The only thing I don't like about it is you have to move the horn off the steering wheel as the column is solid.

But I've seen lightsteer at shows and for 25% of the price, the Ebay one is a no brainer to me. Maybe because I have seen it and used it but I am sure Privatejobs will recommend this kit.

I think it comes down to £750 to turn a nob on the motorway?

jammac said:
What gym do you goto?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't anymore nature was cruel to me I don't even need discs or a servo with my old calf muscles. :lol:

What I'm concerned with is the amount of play in these old steering boxes surely by putting a PAS on will only make this worse, maybe a rack & pinion conversion to add to the expense. :roll:
I'm by no means a Purist but I'm usually in the Camp of what VW did, is best left alone. 8)

terrier man said:
jammac said:
What gym do you goto?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't anymore nature was cruel to me I don't even need discs or a servo with my old calf muscles. :lol:

What I'm concerned with is the amount of play in these old steering boxes surely by putting a PAS on will only make this worse, maybe a rack & pinion conversion to add to the expense. :roll:
I'm by no means a Purist but I'm usually in the Camp of what VW did, is best left alone. 8)
if anyone wants to drive my bus and they say its no good i will give them 100 pounds as for the play in the box its simple repair it first and no the pas will not wear it out any qwicker why would it you tell me power brakes dont wear out any qwicker anyway my hands elbows shoulders could not drive my bus on a daily basis so i fitted pas yes me am a time serverd mental mick so before anyone askes is he qualified yes i am stop living in the past aand help yourself enjoy your bus wistler nearly had a hart attack just driveing out of his garage with his old steering

Personally, I don't see the point, my bus is stock, keeping it as original classic as possible, I drive a modern vehicle other times with PAS and disc brakes!

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com

Supertramp said:
Can't say I've ever noticed a need for it?

Nor me. :)

That said, the eBay kit looks to be good value. Personally, I'd not want the steering motor there though, it's a bit visible. :)

The power steering from lite steer turn off at mph ..it is great and till you drive one you won't believe the difference ..I know they on the splitty you have to send them the whole steering column and steering box and they recon the box ..so the May do the same for the early bay .. You would have to ask them.. But it is a great bit of kit..

Never really had an issue with the stock steering- as long as the wheels are moving slightly I can turn the steering wheel. If you turn the steering wheel when not moving you are scrubbing the tyres on the tarmac.

Now the braking, that's something else, I wouldn't mind a bit of extra help (remote servo maybe) with that! :msn4:

I like the idea. Had a go in one. Like most power steering, you don't need it when on the move but when parking its very nice, especially if the bus is loaded.

Problem for me is the power unit is quite bulky and I have long legs, hence it gets in the way. Decided against because of this. (Plus it didn't look very nice either) :lol:

Latest posts