Project Winston

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeZee

Reaction score
Hi folks, I thought I'd start a thread on my new purchase and to document the progress of my project. I'm hoping I can use this to bounce some of the decisions I'm going to have to make around and use your guys extensive knowledge to compensate for my lack of any.

I can't be bothered going out and taking some new pictures of my bay so I'll start by putting up the pictures from the Pistonhead add I bought it from.

I like how it says speed matters in the corner :lol:

6773272149_56eeb4ffd6_z.jpg

6773268465_3cfc5d95a1_z.jpg

Its a little rougher around the edges than it looks in the pictures but seems to be pretty solid, I have pictures of the restoration that was done to the floor, sills etc and the panel under the windscreen has recently been done. There is a bit of rust under some of the back windows, I poked about at this and it doesn't seem to bad. It goes into the body shop next week for evaluation. I need to decide if I'm going to take the blue up to the roof or leave as it is and if I will paint the inside blue as its going to need painted in there anyway.

The Devon roof is pretty tatty as its been painted over at some point. I was thinking of putting the repair panel from just kampers over the top of it, anyone got experience of these?

Well here we go on the start of an interesting and lets hope fun but probably expensive journey.

Any advice welcome :D

OK First question.

What's involved in welding up the front vent? What is lost? I think the whole cali look is great but not sure whats involved.

Lee

bertiethebus said:
Loss is fresh air intake for those balmy 35degree british summers :lol:

You mean I'd have to open a window! :shock: :lol:

OK Next up is colour choice.

At the moment I'm torn between Nimbus Grey and a flat petrol blue that I've not yet identified.

s5030146vc6.jpg

LeeZee said:
OK Next up is colour choice.

At the moment I'm torn between Nimbus Grey and a flat petrol blue that I've not yet identified.

s5030146vc6.jpg
Evning.
Any more pix of this car? :mrgreen:

OK so I do so love that colour but the missus has talked me out of it as its more work than is really required. Also I think if I keep the standard paint with some subtle mods the bus will be modified but still in keeping to the original feel (if that makes sense). Anyway hopefully I won't need to tell the missus she's right, that would be disaster.

Things are moving along nicely, The body shop (Kintore Autobody in Aberdeenshire) tell me that the bus is very solid. Only one panel will require changing and that they will manage to save the rear quarter that has been warped by previous welding. A full inside out paint will be completed in the next couple of weeks. :D

Meanwhile the parts start arriving!

427588_10150557046051193_515166192_9401111_1377812342_n.jpg

Looks like you had a nice solid base to start with and now fresh paint in no time. Good work. You don't hang about. Wish mine needed just paint. More pics needed :)

Sausage said:
Looking good and can see you arent hanging about. When are you hoping to have the first trip away??

I'm aiming for the Insider festival that takes place at Avemore not far from Inverness on the 15 of June. I work offshore so the next stage of work will take place in my next time off which is about three weeks away. The creative narrowed beam and adjustable spring plates should be getting done in the next couple of weeks. I've also got a set of 15" slot mags to go on.

Looks like you had a nice solid base to start with and now fresh paint in no time. Good work. You don't hang about. Wish mine needed just paint. More pics needed :)

Yeah I really did, most panels had recently been changed so it ended up being more tidying up some of the welds and smoothing out some warped panels, not that I've done any of the work myself. All body work has been done at Kintore Autobody in Aberdeenshire.

Some of the guttering was replaced and a section of sill was fabricated, but like you say a solid base.

I'm now looking at interiors, I'm eyeing up http://www.rvtec.co.uk/page3.htm the 1895 kit seems pretty good value to me.

For do cards seat covers etc and trim I've been talking to http://www.abletrim.co.uk/engine/shop/index.html

Looking very nice...indeed. Is that a creative bean I spy? Keep the images coming handsome boy.

LV

Yeah it's a weedeater. Kind of wish I'd gone KnL but I don't know if I'll be able to go that low anyway as I want it to be a functional camper. hhhmmm.

Never going to win any trophies. :lol: Just as well I have that Vintage Speed coming.

7068523533_696c917669_z.jpg

Oh dear!
6922442924_39c254c15f_z.jpg

6922442782_8a3fccae32_z.jpg

Latest posts