Pulley and Dynamo/alternator advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0retto

Reaction score
Took the Bus for a short spin today and a horrific noise started coming from the back, I stopped and checked the engine bay fearing the worst!...

Black metal dust everywhere and sparks coming from the top fan belt pulley. It seems to have been grinding against the Dynamo casing. Is there a quick fix for this? I.e: a washer to increase the gap?

I took the outer pulley and fan belt off and had a look, replaced a spacer "the big thin washers that adjust the fan belt tension" with a spare I had lying around as it had sheared, but couldn't manage to take the second part of the pulley off to investigate further.(Nut with a tiny pin in the middle"

It is still very close and rubbing slightly but no where near as bad as it was.

I've read a lot of people grind the pulleys as this is a known issue but I haven't got the tools to do this.

Would a simple washer create enough space to prevent the grinding? If so any advice would be much appreciated as I'd like piece of mind before driving to Busfest with the wife and kids! :)

Where about are you?, I have a puller and spares if your having trouble separating the back half with the woodruff key.
I've heard of people saying about this but I've never experienced it and I've tried four or five different alternator pulleys and never had a problem.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I managed to sort it in the end. After a lot of research and potching the rear pulley came off and the previous owner had put a shim behind it which had sheared :shock: the Dynamo wasn't tightened to the fan casing properly either which also added to the problem.

Cleaned and lubricated everything, put it all back together and now she's running and sounding great!

Busfest here we come!!! :)

Latest posts