Rack & Pinion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analord

Reaction score
Hi all, well I have been looking again at rack and pinion options. Threads point to a couple of options but where is the best to go for my crossover? Power steering would be nice if it was an option. I fancied the Creative Engineering option but that seems to have disappeared

Optionals I know of that have been done a do work

Rascal rack -single sided just as the CE one
Astra rack, more work, only seen used on a splitter

Power steering is an easy add, the t25 boys been doing it for years using corsa columns

I have an Astra power rack but it's not as easy as fitting to a splitscreen. If want something off the shelf then it's litesteer.

SiDev said:
Why are you looking at rack and pinion?

Well I have a wandering steering box and was hoping that a new steering set up would make things easier and a bit more relaxed when it comes to travelling.

sparkywig said:
If you want power steering get in touch with Neil at LiteSteer.

http://litesteer.com/

would this work with a red 9 wishbone with rack and pinion....?

I think he has fitted a kit to the Red9 wishbone set-up with a few alterations to it...
When I spoke to him about it he wasn't impressed with the way they do the steering, but it can be adapted/made better from what he was saying...
On the list for one day I think!!
Cheers
Al

analord said:
SiDev said:
Why are you looking at rack and pinion?

Well I have a wandering steering box and was hoping that a new steering set up would make things easier and a bit more relaxed when it comes to travelling.

Sure, rather than rack and pinion, you should look at a late-bay steering box conversion: I've replaced most of my steering components including having the box rebuilt and it's still got play in it, I drove my mates late bay for an hour at the weekend and it's infinitely better. Converting to a late bay box would be simpler and cheaper for you, and keeps it VW too.

When I dropped in on Neil last summer to sort some play in my steering box, he had fitted a litesteer power unit the year before, he was fitting a rack and pinion to a split and said that he was planning to extend this to bays. It's not shown in the products on the litesteer website but may be worth giving him a call and seeing whether he's offering this now

Latest posts