Raising an early bay.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMRacing66

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick introduction, I'm James and very new to the VW world.

I have seen an early bay which has had the full lowering treatment....narrow beam, dropped spindles and notched chassis front and rear. I'm interested in buying the camper but it's going to be more for using rather than show, so I was thinking of raising it up a bit.

I don't really like the idea of a notched chassis for mine and other s safety. Can this be repaired to be back to normal ?

Am I wasting my time with this bay and should I find one that's more stock ?

Hello James.
It's relatively easy to revert back to stock. You'll have to replace the front beam, trailing arms and shock absorbers, and the rear springplates. Then find some stock 14" wheels with 185C14 tyres.
To be honest, if it's not really what you're after, find one that is. There's plenty for sale out there.

On the subject of notched chassis, if they're done properly they're probably got more inherent strength then a 40+ year old stock chassis.

If you want a useable vehicle I would recommend buying one that has not been messed with to such an extent that it requires work of this nature.

As Sparkywig said, there's plenty out there to choose from. Take your time and find a good one that suites your needs :)

Thanks guys...

Trouble is it had certain aspects that I really like...its the right colour for me, pearl white I think its called and has the double bed in the pop top for kids rather than the single bunk.

I guess i'll have to keep an eye out for another one, but I keep going back to this one. decision time !

there are literally hundreds of white westys out there that meet that criteria, L87 pearl white was a colour Westfalia used probably more than any other. It would be easier to buy a stock one, then put the bed conversion in

There is a great stock L87 pearl white westy for sale on this forum.

I'll throw in a different pov...

I found last year there actually isn't a huge amount of good pop top Westys available. One you really start to look and if you have certain criteria it's surprising how limited the choice can be.

If the van ticks every other box then don't rule it out.

Bank on a £1500? for a garage to refit standard second hand og parts and remember you can sell the lowering parts.

I did go and look at it and I'm collecting it tomorrow.

Its in very good condition and i'm looking forward to getting out to some shows later on this summer.

Ive gotten all confused now, which one did you get, the lowered one or the Chianti red one, it`s very hard to keep up when there`s no pictures !!!!! Have you taken any pictures yet ?? Do you know it`s law on here to post pictures ?? We really like pictures don`t we ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Has any one,, any one at all,, mentioned pictures yet :p :mrgreen: :p ;)

ozziedog said:
Ive gotten all confused now, which one did you get, the lowered one or the Chianti red one, it`s very hard to keep up when there`s no pictures !!!!! Have you taken any pictures yet ?? Do you know it`s law on here to post pictures ?? We really like pictures don`t we ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Has any one,, any one at all,, mentioned pictures yet :p :mrgreen: :p ;)

I believe the saying down the pub when a bloke bangs on about a bird he had......
"Pics or it didn't happen" :lol:

bertiethebus said:
ozziedog said:

I believe the saying down the pub when a bloke bangs on about a bird he had......
"Pics or it didn't happen" :lol:

Nice girls around your way if they pose for pictures too!,!! ;) :p ;) . I do like that analogy as well.
So where's the Piccies then :?:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Just one would do, :lol: :mrgreen: :?: :lol:

Ha ha ! I Havent had much of a chance to take any photos yet, as the weather has been so wet.

Here is a teaser photo from the MOT on Saturday morning which she sailed through with no advisories !

It only took a little tiny bit of pressure to get a picky from you ;) And I must add that it was very very worth it. That is one beautiful looking bus, a tad on the shiny side for me (jealousy) but very nice indeedilly :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, mot'd just in time for the shows,,, yay !! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Latest posts