Smallest aspect ratio 4 x 4 tyres on R15s

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie531

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have a 1971 T2a bay fitted with a French slammer 4 inch narrowed beam with 2.5 in dropped spindles. I have adjustable spring plates on the rear. Drives well, even at speed :p in normal conditions. Im running 175 x 55 x R15s on the front and rear with an XL rating of 88 but am thinking of moving to 4 x 4 tyres to give me extra load/stiffness to help in in high crosswinds.
Can anyone here suggest a 4 x 4 tyre of a similar diameter to a 175 x 55 x R15 so I can fit them to my Empi 5 R15s. Thanks in advance. Ed.

OK.........No takers.....I guess nobody here are using 4 x 4 tyres on R15s on their early bays.

Not specifically 4x4 but I am running 185/70/R15 light truck tyres on my bay. I don't think the type of tyre would make much difference in cross winds, but I was having this problem and getting the tracking sorted and using the correct tyre pressure made a world of difference in high winds.

I'm running 14" 4x4 tyres on front 185/65, (90H - that the load rating) Michelin Cross-Climate, and C14 van tyres on back, the stiffer sidewalls are night and day compared to car tyres, which I had on before.

I'm running 14" 4x4 tyres on front 185/65, (90H - that the load rating) Michelin Cross-Climate, and C14 van tyres on back, the stiffer sidewalls are night and day compared to car tyres, which I had on before.
Thanks for this. The aspect ratio is quite low too at 65 and with a load rating of 90 these may be just what I need for my lowered van to help with stability. Cheers.

I also run with A/T tyres but I’m on 14s , 185:R:14s Maxis Worm Drive.
View attachment 6334

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,really like the look too :) :cool::)

Hey Ozzie - How's the driving experience on normal roads with your A/T tyres?

Any noticeable problems on wet roads?
Been reading a few posts/reviews elsewhere of A/T tyres in general and the subject of them feeling not so good on wet roads seems to crop up.

Cheers,
Steve

Yes I know exactly what you mean, it drifts a bit if I corner at more than ninety but that’s all.. :unsure:
Not really, maybe in something with a little more Ooommmph you’d notice but to be honest I’ve drawers opening and cutlery getting mashed into my spare wheel well before I have any issues but I’ve never had any. I don’t actually drive it like a pram but I’m not afraid go where no 1641 has boldly gone before. I wouldn’t even say there’s any more noise than before and I’m 1641 with vintage speed stainless and twin 34s. The ones I used to have on my beach buggy ( years ago ) were general grabbers and they were supposed to be off road tyres but they were fairly useless in anything other than showing off on the tarmac.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,maybe I’m just the very best driver in the universe, maybe not.

Just had a thought Walt. I’m up to Lutterworth the weekend after next, if that’s anywhere near you, feel free to pop over and have a go in mine. Im at the Techenders weekend with the LateBay gang.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Best way really :)

Just had a thought Walt. I’m up to Lutterworth the weekend after next, if that’s anywhere near you, feel free to pop over and have a go in mine. Im at the Techenders weekend with the LateBay gang.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Best way really :)

Thanks for the offer Ozzie - I've heard about Techenders for years and always fancied going at somepoint; Unfortunately this year it clashes as I'm away at Lindisfarne Festival that's on the same weekend. Maybe next year!

Regarding the tyres - I've probably spent far too much time reading articles/reviews and gone off down a rabbit hole after a few negative comments around the A/T ones, the worst one I remember in one of the VW mags I think was someone in a T5 who swapped onto A/T tyres and had so much of a nightmare driving in the wet that they swapped back after a short while.

Instead of that Bus Selecta app I need a tyre selecta version.

No worries bud, there’s two Techenders, one sort of April time and one sorta September time. The camp site is run by Eddie who is a bit of a petrol head and runs various VW meet ups along with other things too.
Another that I’ll be going to is Weobley Castle the weekend after next which is on the Gower in South Wales, might be a trek for you though.
And T5, much much more powerful, much much faster, and and much much porkier to go with it. I’m guessing the weight is almost doubled, the speed capability has gotta be half as much again if not more and no reflections on the drivers capability but if you’re having issues with tyres and etc etc etc maybe the driver charges about too much,,, maybe. But sure as eggs are eggs, I have had a little try with them and could not get them to break free on tarmac, I’m sure if I dumped the clutch at three-to four thousand revs I’m sure i could get em to spin, but they’re A/T so they’re meant to grip, and they do even more so in the gravel and grass and the mud.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, maybe I’m just toooo slow driving now ??? :)

Latest posts