RE-WIRE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wires

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gents..... my bus has failed its M.O.T today... few problems with electrics... ive just had a dig around under the dash.... and safe to say.... its in a right tangle.... millions of wires doin god knows what.... some not even connected up... im goin to bite the bullet and get a full re-wire... does anybody no how much id be lookin at for a full re-wire..... im based in sheffield if anybody knows anybody..... Cheers once again..... Wires

Loom included your looking at around the £800 mininum. Normally a 2-3 day job in total, and auto electrician's dont come cheap by the hour.....around £30-£35 for a decent one.
I'm a little knowledgeable on this subject as I recently intended on having mine fully re-wired.....ended up just having a complete overhaul instead. Remove all the deadwood, tidy up the looms, make sure all the connections are tight and safe etc. Had the engine bay tidied at the same time too. All in all cost me just over £500. Hope that helps as a pointer.

-------------------------------

Own a Bay?.....Feel the love!!

I've just quoted someone £1000 to do this work but that also included split charge system and leisure setup (rear lighting etc)

I'm doing my own at the moment and similar to what Foz has had done I will just be tidying things up and also converting over to a modern fuse box.

Similar to this,

DSCN3399.jpg

You say there's millions of wires but (apart from crap people might of added down the years) the new loom will more than likely have the same millions of wires!

Just re-wired my bus as the wiring caught fire on the M5 this year, luckily only wires burnt out!
Anyway, my bus wiring was a in a similar mess too. It's had 42 years of abuse and dodgy things wired in!!
I got my loom from Peter Good at Volksgoods. Top guy, full of advice and always helpful. I had the full loom, plus extras and it cost around £360. It's top quality and can be custom made to whatever you want.
I have fitted it myself(never done one before) and it does come with instructions.
Although it did cause me to pull my remaining hair out and swear at times, but the feeling of achievement afterwards was worth it!
Not sure how much sparkles will charge to install??

sharman said:
Just re-wired my bus as the wiring caught fire on the M5 this year, luckily only wires burnt out!
Anyway, my bus wiring was a in a similar mess too. It's had 42 years of abuse and dodgy things wired in!!
I got my loom from Peter Good at Volksgoods. Top guy, full of advice and always helpful. I had the full loom, plus extras and it cost around £360. It's top quality and can be custom made to whatever you want.
I have fitted it myself(never done one before) and it does come with instructions.
Although it did cause me to pull my remaining hair out and swear at times, but the feeling of achievement afterwards was worth it!
Not sure how much sparkles will charge to install??

Just had a look very reasonable http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/looms.php

Another couple of options

http://rapidfitlooms.co.uk/t2campervanwiringloom.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw these guys at a show and looked good quality

http://www.vwlooms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good idea for anyone who has just got a van (especially if you have not owned a classic/older car in the past). Have a good look around it and get yourself aquainted with things like...fuel line condition and route...mechanical and electrical operation...and dare I say it...any dodgy looking wiring....your bus failing the MOT should not really be the first time you look at the condition of these things...These are fairly elderly vehicles now and most have had all sorts of crappy/strange repairs done to them along their journey.

Its nice to be up to speed with your buses condition :D

Latest posts