Rear brakes on cross-over bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

Reaction score
Hello all. It's been a long time since I've used online VW forums (just joined this one) - years back I used the Just Kampers forums for technical queries but it seems a tad deserted these days.

My '72 bay has behaved marvellously since a major restoration a few years ago, but wear-and-tear takes its toll. I'm looking to refurbish the rear brakes - I noticed that the handbrake levers and spreading bars within the drum aren't available from JK for cross-over bays - can anyone advise if it's possible to fit the later ones ('73 onwards) if the brake shoes are changed as well? Also, is there any difference in the handbrake cables?

Many thanks.

Hi. These 72s are a bit of a bugger aren't they?
Vw heritage do a distance bar for 71-72. Handbrake cable should be same 71 onwards.
Ive not done it myself, but as wheel cylinders, backing plates and drums are listed all as 71 onwards on their site I reckon you could change all shoes, springs and distance bar, handbrake lever over to 73 on?

Hi - thanks. I guessed as much, but can't find anyone who's actually done it to be sure. I'll have a look on VW Heritage and see what they've got.

When i had a 72 crossover my local mechanic changed the rear brakes for me to the later style so its deffo possible...i just don't know how!

I do still have the original parts in my garage cos i'm a part hoarder but i now have a 71 so they are surplus to requirements if you wanna keep cross over parts on there?
Not entirely sure what they are worth but wouldn't want a lot for them.

Thanks for the advice all. I've got the van booked into a local garage for them to take a look...

Latest posts