Rear disc conversion calipers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
Converted the rear to the Red9 Design hi-spec disc conversion a couple of years back and to be honest the handbrake has been crap ever since no matter how many times I adjust it. Basically the handbrake has separate pads about the size of 10 pence pieces, just about enough to hold a mountain brake! Been carrying tyre wedges and leaving in gear ever since and I’m fed up now.

Does anyone know if there’s any other decent callipers out there?
Thanks.

If it’s any consolation, I don’t think you’re on your own here with this this conundrum. If there’s nothing else out there then there’s always stock. Not really the reply you were looking for I guess.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,sorry bud :mrgreen:

Cheers guys - Do the Golf calipers actually mount onto the existing Red9 brackets or would I need to buy/make new ones? Cheers

I've just converted my Red9 rears to Golf ones as I was so pissed with the handbrake! (I have a line lock added to the rears for my handbrake to assist them!) I've had to clearance the calipers a bit and shim the bracket but they fit...I think! Only turned around in the drive and parked back in the garage and not attached the handbrake cables yet as Christmas got in the way, but can't see them being anything but better. You may need to adapt the lines to fit right too.
Cheers
Al

Bundy said:
I've just converted my Red9 rears to Golf ones as I was so pissed with the handbrake! (I have a line lock added to the rears for my handbrake to assist them!) I've had to clearance the calipers a bit and shim the bracket but they fit...I think! Only turned around in the drive and parked back in the garage and not attached the handbrake cables yet as Christmas got in the way, but can't see them being anything but better. You may need to adapt the lines to fit right too.
Cheers
Al

Can’t agree more, just not up to the job and I’m fed up of forever adjusting and carrying chocks around with me! Can you please tell me what model of golf calipers you used and what’s a line lock? Cheers

Can’t agree more, just not up to the job and I’m fed up of forever adjusting and carrying chocks around with me! Can you please tell me what model of golf calipers you used and what’s a line lock? Cheers
[/quote]

They are standard Mk4 Golf calipers and carriers...for solid disc rear ends.
Line locks are usually fitted to lock the front wheels to assist in burnouts! It's a lever or electric solenoid that plumbs into the brake line...you press the brake pedal then lock the lever...this holds the fluid in the line so you can take your foot off the pedal and the front or rear brakes are then locked on. Release the lever and brakes free off. Helps as a handbrake when plumbed into the rear circuit, but hoping to not need it so much now, but still not got round to finishing it yet!

Latest posts