Rear drums for a 68

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbuser

Reaction score
Got onto the rear of my 1968 single cab today. Thought something was wrong when undoing the hub nut one side and the drive shaft was turning but the hub was stationary. I got the drum off and the splines are different. The dodgy drum only has 6 splines evenly spaced but obviously to big for the stub axle splines. The drum is identical apart from that. What is this drum off?
I suppose I had better get a ‘wanted’ on the buy and sell forum!
Thanks Andy.

that's a nasty botch! so no brake then and no drive going through this wheel? You may be better buying new, its easy for a secondhand drum to be of no use

If it's 68 model year it's a one year only part as well

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I thought it may be a one year only part! I looked on Heritage’s site. They list a 68 only drum up to a certain chassis number. Then another for 68 to 70? My chassis number is later so am I right in thinking the one listed as 68 to 70 is the correct one for me?
Thanks for the help, Andy.

Forgot to ask.....what is the difference between early 68 drums and the 68 to 70 drums?

The early ones had a single outer lip and matching backing plate
eb51bb9ce4052c77ffe7a368122e0b37.jpg

You can convert them but when I looked at it I think the cost of newer drum and the newer backing plate wasn't much different to the cost of the earlier drum..I hoped I wouldn't be replacing them often enough to make the switch worth while :)

I thought that but I can’t find an early drum for sale. Heritage have them on back order. As I have got to replace the cylinders and shoes could I fit the slightly later back plates, shoe and cylinders? Will they fit my stubs! Also will all the original springs fit or would I need a new kit? Sorry for all the questions!
Cheers Andy.

As far as I could tell th bye only things that needed to be changed were the backing plates and drums.. I think mine took about 3 weeks to arrive when the early drum was on backorder

Or you can get a splitty one and have the spline section machined down to match .

Cheers, looks like my best option is to buy a new splitty drum and turn it down then. Thanks for all the help.
Andy.

Latest posts