rear torsion bracket for trailing arm Move for camber adjust

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
bit of a weird request and probably only a few UK vans been done...

But I understand that you can move the brackets on the torsion tube to adjust the rear camber after getting the rear quite low.

Anybody in their internet search found any pictures or information?

thanks

Ah I see. Such a mod should be treated with caution and professional help will be needed for the following reasons

1. The welding is vital structure and should be of extreemly high quality and tested afterwards.

2. Changing the suspension pivot point should not be taken lightly since it will change not only the camber but also the toe in / toe out over the range of suspension travel. This can have serious repercussions on vehicle handling not to mention tyre wear.

3. There is also the danger of an unsuspecting later owner going back to stock height. Without re doing the pivots again the results could be serious.

This is probably why its rarely done and most either accept the negative camber resulting from over lowering or some use tapered shims on the hub to springplate (though this has to be treated with a little caution too since it can cause unwanted twisting action).

If in your case you have excessive negative camber after only moderate (2 or 3 inches) lowering you may need to replace the rubber bushes, under the covers, on the end of the torsion arms.

If you would like more technical advice on the subject of such a modification I would suggest you might like to PM Haveacamper (on this forum) who is currently employed by Ford in the development of suspension systems and has a magnificent lowered bay.

thanks Trikky

yes I know - it wasn't a modification that I was taking lightly - when I say moderate it's probably 3spline equivalent - so not massively low but the camber is very noticeable, I'm almost into chassis notching terrority - which again I'm avoiding as it's serious fabrication and probably overkill

the donuts are new actually
[I'll get some pics]

Also, consider replacing the trailing arm bushes if these are old.

there should be a level of camber adjustment in how you bolt the trailing arm, springlplate and hub together. best to refer to your bentley/ haynes for exactly how to do this rather than someone elses interpretation of what they read in their own Bentley/Haynes :)

Trikky is right, this is a pretty major thing to do as you are changing the fundemental kinematics of the suspension. To some extent, lowering a bus changes the suspension behaviour, but it still results in the suspension kinematics operating in the range that it was designed for. This is until you start notching chassis rails as VW would obviously not have considered this and the chassis rails would be one of the boundary conditions they used for maximum travel - or come to think of it maybe only the bump stop.

I must admit, the only time I have seen this done is when people replace the original trailing arms with Porsche alloy trialing arms - along with the rear hubs to achieve a straight 130pcd bolt patten for upgraded brakes and wheels. they remove the original cleats that hold the trailing arm - align the wheel and weld in place. for an example see page 6 here:

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=20&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=5816265225b8db1663e522d31fb591df" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i am not sure how much work goes into making sure the swept path/orientation of the wheel is desirable as the exact alignment of the semi trailing arm setup will depict the wheel recession, lateral displacement, vertical displacement, toe/steer change and camber.

as trikky eluded to, the bushes can also play an important role in the amount of compliance - another reason why you shouldnt necessarily believe that upgraded bushes are the best thing since sliced bread. for example..even the bushes in the dampers have impact the performance. I know we are not talking about high performance vehicle here, but I just want to highlight the impact on changing such things.

NaFe

Pretty sure Guy at Slamwerks did this to the old beige deluxe but not sure how much it improved the situation.

dubdubz said:
thanks Trikky

when I say moderate it's probably 3spline equivalent - so not massively low but the camber is very noticeable, I'm almost into chassis notching terrority - which again I'm avoiding as it's serious fabrication and probably overkill

3 spline - bordering on chassis notching?

This must be a new use for the word "moderate" I was not previously aware of :lol:

No wonder you have a lot of camber ;)

Latest posts