Rear wheel camber

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Thought I'd share some info regarding rear wheel camber as I know a few people have posted about this in the past.

When I first got my bus it had a 2 spline drop on the rear with a corresponding drop on the front, obviously. There was also a corresponding amount of negative camber on the rear wheels, which served at lest to keep the tyre walls inside the wheel arches!

I took the bus back up a spline (2 inches?) a year or so back but found that I had still had some pretty nasty camber, especially on the offside wheel. This camber was so bad in fact that on a trip to Scotland a couple of weeks back a motorist stopped me at the lights and asked if "the rear wheels are supposed to be like that as something looks broken." :)

This was something I'd tried to remedy at one point by rotating the diagonal trailing arms (as per the Bentley manual) but to no avail. So this weekend I fitted new bushes to the diagonal arms, where they meet the torsion tube and hey presto, problem solved! I had in fact rotated the arms a bit again after fitting the new bushes but found that this ended up giving me a visible degree of positive camber so quite a major change degree wise

Interestingly, the old bushes I pressed out looked perfectly fine and showed no visible sign of deformation or wear yet it was obviously there. The job only took around 30 mins for the first side and 20 mins for the second (as I had everything set up and was practised) but I also have a windy gun and 6 ton press, which is a Major plus.

Anyway, I thought it might help!

Thanks for the info as an thinking of doing this over the winter sounds like it's well worth it :)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Just out of curiousity did you fit them in dry or did you lube them up with something ?
Oooh errr Lol

Just out of curiousity did you fit them in dry or did you lube them up with something ?
Oooh errr Lol

Young man!! Actually, as you ask, I just sprayed a littlle WD40 around the leading edge and they went in fine. I very slightly "over inserted" them (ahem...) with the press, gave them a second to bed in place (you sort of see the rubber continue to settle in up to the shoulder) and that was it. The narrow end just peeps through with a tiny shoulder of its own to indicate that it has "been driven home satisfactorily" (this is getting like a Carry On script...).

Zcat7 said:
Oooh errr Lol

The narrow end just peeps through

I shall look out for it just peeping when I have a go lol .

Thanks for the info

Latest posts