Reccomendations on glue for rubber seals please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie524

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for people's experiences on the best glue to use to fix rubber seals (cab doors, tailgate etc) into place please.

I was wondering about black roofer's mastic, that's pretty good and seems to stick to most things!

Thanks all, Rich

Evo stick impact adhesive

My old man use to repair washing machines and swears by it for sealing those so got do be good on a door seal right :p

Evostick all the way. Have fun as it can get a bit messy and watch out it might melt you gloves!!!

Hi, I'm also looking to re-glue the seal on the bottom of one of my cab doors so interested in this thread – does Evo Stick damage paintwork? I've heard PVA is also an option – not the strongest adhesive but kind to the paintwork.

I always thought that you shouldn't need to use glue. Thought it caused the rubbers to perish and if the rubbers were decent they should stay in place anyway. Have never used glue on any of the VW's I've had.

wanderlust said:
I always thought that you shouldn't need to use glue. Thought it caused the rubbers to perish and if the rubbers were decent they should stay in place anyway. Have never used glue on any of the VW's I've had.

there's a few threads on here about this. Talking about cab doors as I have only done these, I don't think evo stick would perish the rubber but I agree it shouldn't be necessary to use glue all the way around just some at the bottom section of the cab door.

It took me ages to remove the old glue from the door, trying not to remove paint at the same time!

I suppose it all depends how straight the channels for the seal around the door are.

PVA is water based so I don't think that would be a good idea to use.

Yep, mine always spring out at the front corner where the lower and uppoer section of the cab doors meet, no matter how I try to tuck it in. Annoying but a dob of snot should fix it...

R

Evo stick is a rubber based glue and shouldn't destroyer rubber, never destroyed a washing machine door seal

Evo Stick just on the lower part of the cab door seals. All other areas 'should' hold themselves in place.

Just done mine with EVO stick. Works a treat. Why is everyone worried about the paint? How often do these seals need replacing? I'm hoping mine will stay there for a while!

Latest posts