Removing heater tube

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
I am planning to install a diesel heater under the van and funnel the hot air to the front vents. I was thinking of removing the centre part of the heater tube as shown in the picture and connecting the heater outlet.
My question is what should I do at the rear? Is it ok to just leave the pipe open at the back or should I block it off?
Cheers
Monkey

underside (1).jpg

I’m not sure I would cut the piping out to place heat through. I added a diesel heater to mine in the rear for camping but also helps when driving to keep you toasty inside. I added a turret plate which helped protect where you cut out the hole.

Cheers Gabs.

I’m not sure I would cut the piping out to place heat through. I added a diesel heater to mine in the rear for camping but also helps when driving to keep you toasty inside. I added a turret plate which helped protect where you cut out the hole.

Cheers Gabs.
My main aim is defrosting the windscreen in the winter mornings which was why I wanted to use the existing vents. Does your setup defrost the cab?

Cheers
Monkey

My main aim is defrosting the windscreen in the winter mornings which was why I wanted to use the existing vents. Does your setup defrost the cab?

Cheers
Monkey
Yes my keeps the cab defrosted as I just run the heater 15 minute's or so before I set of as that’s the good thing with the heater you can just switch on and of at your own leisure. I just got a Chinese 8 kilowatt heater which comes with a remote to activate rather than getting in bus to go to pad and switch on so whilst your having a coffee in house your bus can be warming up.

Hello icf monkey.I tried this and would not do it again.I have gone back ti the original set up.it was very smokey on start up and and was not very warm due to trying to heat up cold air rather than recycle warm air they are designed to. it defrost the windscreen but it took a long time .I dont think the fan is strong enough.

I have an underslung diesel heater piped into the front section, it’s brilliant when tootling around in the winter. I didn’t have a centre pipe, but would say definitely do the front cut as you have shown.

Originally I was just drawing air in from outside for the heater intake, but have since changed this to draw in from under the rock n roll bed (recirculating the air inside) which is miles better.

If you’re planning to do the same, utilise the remaining part of the rear section, stick an elbow on where the Y section is take it up through the floor 👍

Cheers
Monkey

Have you considered the alternative of substituting a laminated, electrically-heated front windscreen, which are readily available in the UK for the 1968~79 VW Type 2? These should provide much more effective demisting & defrosting than using hot-air through the factory-standard dashboard vents, as well as probably involving less time, effort & cost.

Latest posts