Removing/Refitting Dashboard - Advice???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krim

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my entire dash later in the month, and have never had reason to remove one before so any advice hints/tips and order to do things etcetc would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

A roll of white tape and a sharpie to mark the wires would help plus take lots of photo's, Undo the speedo cable and the dash pod will fall forward enough to mark and photo the connections. Good Luck :D

I've just done mine for the first time to,

As mentioned photos and labeling definitely help, especially if your loom has been altered in the past and doesn't follow the correct wiring diagram for your van. (Like mine)

Which brings me to my next tip,

If you havnt already, Find the correct diagram for your van, I found mine at http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has the diagrams in colour which help a lot, don't rely on a Haynes manual because there not much good for anything other than looking at component layouts.

I had to replace most of the terminal fixings to, because they we're just to worn to go back on so having those handy will speed things up.

The order i followed was something like this,

1. Removed top cover
2. Disconnect the speedo and then pull out the clocks enough to label them (do this slowly because if the terminals are kaput, they will just fall off). I put a label on the wiring and then the spade and labeled them "A & A" to keep it simple.
3. Un wind the lighting buttons etc, and then you can use sirclip pliers to unwind the silver screw in clamps which hold the switches to the dash.
4. Free the steering column from the dash, at the four screws located underneath (I would secure it with some string once it's out of your way to prevent damaging the rubber mounting at the bottom of the column)
5. There's a few bolts to remove the hand brake assembly underneath it
6. disconnect the heater levers etc
7. Last but not least, remove the dashboard screws at either end.
8. I numbered the fuse ports 1 - 12 I think, and labelled wires at the top fuse "T1" for example and wires to the bottom of fuse 1 "B1".

And that's your lot basically, there's a few more steps if you want the wiper motor out but I'm sure by that point you will be able to figure that out.

I might have mist a few steps out which could be vitally important but I think that was it generally, I hope I havnt explained it to shall we say, "how to suck eggs" but there you go.

If you get stuck, drop me a pm dude.

Thanks guys thats just what i was after, i recently replaced the speedo cable, installed the heater levers and replaced the speedo/fuel gauge bulbs so i 've had some of the bits out already..

Simon.

I replaced my dash twic but never removed the dashpod. Once the speedo cable is undone you can tilt it forward and push it back through the opening. You can then loosen the bolts and remove the whole thing.

Fairly simple job.

Latest posts