Removing Underseal....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruth11

Reaction score
Hi All

In order to re-seal the underside of our newly imported 1968 cali bus, hubby says we need to remove the original underseal that's still there....

Anyone got any good tips on the easiest way to do this?! (Or my preferred option - a good reason for not getting rid at all ;) )

Thanks

If you really must remove it,its dirty,messy time consuming,elbow grease job by all accounts.I paid to have mine sand blasted which brought it back to fresh clean metal,however if that isn't an option then I would try a heat gun and a scraper.use white spirits to soften it (depending on what sort of under seal it is - spirit may be ineffective on some),maybe a wire brush on a drill.

If you are doing it by hand,it will be a very laborious job whatever tools you use & difficult to get into the nooks & crannies - which is where the trouble (rust) starts.

.If its original and your sure it looks undisturbed then how about a damn good clean with a jet wash & detergent - LET IT DRY THOROUGHLY and then an under seal ? If it looks poor/cracked condition, un less you know whats under the under seal,be prepared to find a few surprises as it can sometimes hide corrosion that once un covered will result in welding.Granted the risk of this is significantly reduced on a dry climate bus. I think there is often truth in the old saying "let sleeping dogs lie" but if it needs doing, better sooner than later.

hth

There is info in this thread about it.... http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

IMO if its not lose why remove it.
I just scraped any loose underseal off mine and then painted new waxoyl bitumen under seal over the top.

If you must remove it I would employ someone to steam clean the underside, there are companies out there that steam clean farm machinery that will come to you hose and do it. The head in the water softens the old bitumen allowing it to be blasted off by the water pressure, big advantage of doing it this way is it leaves the body grease free after so any new underseal/paint you apply should stick well.

Latest posts