Replacing indicator housing/switch/stalk

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my indicator housing/switch/stalk.

I've looked through the Haynes manual etc but can't find any details on how to do this. From looking under my dash and following a wiring diagram it looks like the thick black cable (containing maybe 5 or 8 wires) from the indicator stalk/switch just dissappears under the dash/steering wheel column.

Any ideas how to remove it? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Hi,my 68 bay used to have wiper switch in dash but on renovation i had later bay indicaters/wiper/wash wired in to a later bespoke front loom like a later bay with hazards e.t.c.I did get a proper auto electrics company to do this as old wiring can be very temprementle,never mind dangerous,alternately you will have to tap into the loom with the new switch wires but write down what goes where off the old switch wires as they go into the loom.the wipers only started working on one setting on mine which was the contact inside the switch itself-they have a ridge on the contact which wears down in time but this can easily be remedied with a build up of solder,not a permanent fix but enough to last 18 months which mine is so far,hope this helps phil :eek:

my way is to drop instrument pack forward then you can see the wiring easy and get your hands in ;)

Cheers Dub68Bay - sounds like you done more than I intended. (Happy to keep my wiper/wash on the dash). Thanks for the info though - might be an option I'll look at if nothing else works.

67Panel - Is dropping the instrument pack forward just a case of removing the securing screws on the front? Guessing you can't get away with not removing the steering wheel aswell?

Walt said:
Cheers Dub68Bay - sounds like you done more than I intended. (Happy to keep my wiper/wash on the dash). Thanks for the info though - might be an option I'll look at if nothing else works.

67Panel - Is dropping the instrument pack forward just a case of removing the securing screws on the front? Guessing you can't get away with not removing the steering wheel aswell?

No, first you need to release the front section of the heater levers from the mechanism by pulling the little bastard pins out....

Latest posts