Reproduction OEM style steering wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I'm thinking of either getting a MCJ 17" wood rimmed steering wheel or a repro genuine VW style one. I've not seen a repro version of the genuine ones in the flesh so to speak so wondered if anyone has one they could share some feed back with me. They repro ones are also nearly half the price of the MCJ ones but not a trick .

I went with a repro one years ago, looks & feels good, however two cracks have appeared which have opened up 1-2mm. Not sure if this was caused by heat in the sun 2013 or from the cold in storage in winter..

We've had a MCJ for a couple of years now - it's expensive but feel it's worth the money

My panel is in having a full respray in L345 light gray .Im torn between the black rim and the natural wood one as the dash area will be grey and black ,but I'm not sure on the black rim where as I thought the natural might be quite neutral?

Not had one myself bud, but we were having a chat about them around a campfire along with a few sherberts back last summer. The consensus of opinion was much the same as above ^^^ but also, people that had the cheaper wheels usually went back to the original or for a `better` one. The common issues spoken of were indeed cracking and flaking, but also the cheaper ones appeared to flex a lot more which may be mostly responsible for the cracking and flaking. If you is gonna get one, I`d say to get a good one. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Same as most things really, but we drive scabby old campers :roll: :lol: ;)

Yeh MCJ all way .I think I'm going to get the twin spoke/slot version with either natural or black rim ?

I'm sure there was a guy on here who was refurbishing original steering wheels, have a search, I seem to remember they looked tip-top.

Unfortunatly I don't have an original wheel.The one fitted is a 15" mounty looking one which isn't my bag .

My original one is way beyond patching up so ordered a repro from vw heritage after selling some no longer needed bits. My thinking being I want a nice dash/cab.

When it comes I'll take some high res shots of it if this helps

Just got my repro wheel for the bus in the post.

Its got a hairline crack in the rim grrr :(

Still, the company are trying so sort a replacement so nice customer service.

we have an MCJ black rimed wheel , the nuts better than the standard wheel and easier to hang on to !

For people wondering about repros, heres mine received today. (Undamaged)

DSC_2220_zpsunaxmixr.jpg

DSC_2221_zpsgsp5wu2n.jpg

Its just the light on this picture, looks like it has scuffs which it doesn't.

Quality seems fine, feels nice and solid, horn push is a nice Bakelite-kind of plastic too unlike my old one.

Latest posts