Reverse thread rear stub axle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin3565

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question -
Is there such a thing as a reverse thread stub axle for a 68 - 70 rear carrier 205mm drum ? I had the split pin sheer off and the nut undo on the left rear to allow the drum with wheel try and come off - damaging the wheel arch, melt the tyre wall and blunt the thread of the axle. (reason for nut coming loose was a miss centred drum vibrating against brakes)

In my mind the thread should be reverse thread to stop this happening - but i can't find any reference or option for one - just wondered if anyone knew anything about this or where to get hold of one if available ?

Many thanks

Colin

I can see why you'd think that would work- and it would work- but it was never done by VW. The hub nuts should be torqued up to something like 253ft/lb, which should be enough to keep any wheel on if it's tightened up properly and the threads/splines are OK.

Many thanks for your reply - it's very useful knowing that it was never done by VW as it will stop me search for a part that does not exist. going to replace the drum and stub axle as the thread is damaged. Thanks again Happystamps

Latest posts