Rear drum squeak!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob37

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The rear drum on my 71 bay is driving me mad 😡
Replaced bearings etc over winter as the problem started at the tale end of last summer but has made no difference. It starts squeaking after I’ve done 20 miles or so, from one very tiny squeak and then builds up to sound like it’s constantly catching. It sounds like metal catching metal so gets quiet high pitched. I’ve backed the brakes right off to the point they are doing nothing and it still happens. I’ve checked the drum and backing plate for any signs of scrapping or metal bares, again nothing!!
The drum has an even gap inside backing plate When bolted in position. It’s proper driving me nuts now and getting the back wheel off isn’t really easy as I have to undo the shock absorber to get the wheel low enough to come out😢😢
Any help would be massively appreciated
Cheers guys

Once it`s started to squeak, pull over and gently try to feel how warm the brake drum is, go carefull as you can get a serious burn if you just grab some hot metal :shock: Then have a good hard look at the brake pipes, and have you got one of those funny bias valves thingies

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Doncha just luv em :mrgreen:

Latest posts