• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Roof Bunk for 1969 Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camper Man

Reaction score
I am trying to locate a good condition roof bunk for a 1969 left hand drive westy, can anybody help out there.

:shock:

Not got a frame but got a very good quality canvas in Blue if you need one when you find a frame (the canvas is usually shot)
Good luck mate.

Got a single bunk with a knackered canvas in my 1971 US westie if you want it, still installed but won't be needing it - match that with the canvas and you're away :D

Haven't even opened it up since getting the van but assume it's sound - but if you want it you're welcome to it - size would mean pickup from Cambridge if that's near you?

Would be interested in swapping for an alternator with integrated regulator if you had one loafing about.....long shot I know :mrgreen:

Excellent this world wide intranet malarky really works ....Cool !!

Next question before i make any purchases....can any of you confirm if you think it will carry a twelve stone bloke, that way i can escape to the roof from the crazy 2 year old i have. :mrgreen:

clyde said:
Not got a frame but got a very good quality canvas in Blue if you need one when you find a frame (the canvas is usually shot)
Good luck mate.

How much do you want tfor it mate, and do you thinkit would carry a 12 stone bloke ??

southernkombiparts said:
We have some bunk frames too, might even have one with a good canvas, will have to check!

How much do you want for a good frame, or if you have one a good frame with a good canvas??

Cheers

Camper Man said:
clyde said:
Good luck mate.

How much do you want tfor it mate, and do you thinkit would carry a 12 stone bloke ??

Will support more weight than the frame could ever manage, i made it out of heavy duty marine grade canvas.

DSCF2106.jpg

£40 posted.

don't know how many pounds in a stone but the westy brochure says 150 pounds for the top bunk (they also refer to it as a child's bunk) - I'm looking at getting the double bunk up top that are being reproduced and think this would be better for an adult (though I weight around 15 stone) - that and to banish the children into the top :lol:

page18.jpg

Hope that helps,

Larry

I slept in my childs bunk and im also 15 stone. I think its more to do with length making it a childs bunk. I hid in mine with a major hangover at the volksworld show one year while the bus was in a line up. :shock:

lard said:
don't know how many pounds in a stone but the westy brochure says 150 pounds for the top bunk (they also refer to it as a child's bunk) - I'm looking at getting the double bunk up top that are being reproduced and think this would be better for an adult (though I weight around 15 stone) - that and to banish the children into the top :lol:

page18.jpg

Hope that helps,

Larry

Who do you know that is reproducing the double roof bunk ?, i have done a bit of research on this but it seems quite an expensive proposition, what sort of figures have you been quoted to do it ?

And how much would you wamt for your frame ?

Cheers

clyde said:
Camper Man said:
clyde said:
Good luck mate.

Will support more weight than the frame could ever manage, i made it out of heavy duty marine grade canvas.

DSCF2106.jpg

£40 posted.

As soon as i get an answer on a frame i will be in touch cheers mate.

Camper Man said:
lard said:

Hope that helps,

Larry

Who do you know that is reproducing the double roof bunk ?, i have done a bit of research on this but it seems quite an expensive proposition, what sort of figures have you been quoted to do it ?

Cheers

Hi - it's VW Evolution - http://www.vwevolution.com - nice people and worth contacting to confirm but I was quoted as follows:

£99 (metal work and fittings)
£175 (metal work, fittings and wooden base)
£225 (metal work, fittings,wodden base,and foam)
and around £275 if you wanted it trimmed

If you can collect my single bunk from Cambridge then it's yours for a tenner as you'd be doing me a favour - too good to bin and will only end up loafing around my garage for years :mrgreen:

Though I'll probably rope you into giving me a hand taking it out - at least you can also see how it's connected at the moment,

PM me your email address if you can collect and we can arrange,

Thanks,

Larry

lard said:
Camper Man said:
lard said:

Hope that helps,

Larry

Cheers

Hi - it's VW Evolution - http://www.vwevolution.com - nice people and worth contacting to confirm but I was quoted as follows:

£99 (metal work and fittings)
£175 (metal work, fittings and wooden base)
£225 (metal work, fittings,wodden base,and foam)
and around £275 if you wanted it trimmed

If you can collect my single bunk from Cambridge then it's yours for a tenner as you'd be doing me a favour - too good to bin and will only end up loafing around my garage for years :mrgreen:

Though I'll probably rope you into giving me a hand taking it out - at least you can also see how it's connected at the moment,

PM me your email address if you can collect and we can arrange,

Thanks,

Larry

Did you get my PM message mate ?? and would sunday be ok ?? Inoticed your message re welding, i am sure it is to protect the paint as you think.

Camper Man said:
Did you get my PM message mate ?? and would sunday be ok ?? Inoticed your message re welding, i am sure it is to protect the paint as you think.

Hi - I did thanks - been out and about, just replying now :)

Cheers,

Larry

Hi,

Pictures of both hinges - (iphone not so good at taking pictures in the gloom :( )

2d7f2e64.jpg

e22d91fa.jpg

Not sure what the differences were - but if there are changes to the bunk over time then it's probable it will be different between a 69 > 71 ?

lard said:
Hi,

Pictures of both hinges - (iphone not so good at taking pictures in the gloom :( )

2d7f2e64.jpg

e22d91fa.jpg

Not sure what the differences were - but if there are changes to the bunk over time then it's probable it will be different between a 69 > 71 ?

Just got your message, thanks for the pics, will call you tomorrow to arrange sunday.

Cheers. :mrgreen:

Camper Man said:
lard said:
Hi,

2d7f2e64.jpg

e22d91fa.jpg

Just got your message, thanks for the pics, will call you tomorrow to arrange sunday.

Thanks for the frame, i have already taken the canvas off ready for a new one, i have had a look at that manifold i have, it has the take off at a slightly inverted angle which is what i think you wanted, is there a deal to be done on your brothers sink unit ??? if ther is we could meet half way swap bits and cash either way, let me know.

Cheers

Camper Man said:
Camper Man said:

Thanks for the frame, i have already taken the canvas off ready for a new one, i have had a look at that manifold i have, it has the take off at a slightly inverted angle which is what i think you wanted, is there a deal to be done on your brothers sink unit ??? if ther is we could meet half way swap bits and cash either way, let me know.

Cheers

Hi - good to meet you today - I've asked the question and see what he says (he's on here so may pipe in), it's out the van but recall him keeping hold of it in case he changed his mind but if you don't ask ;)

Latest posts