Roof rack: Show us what you've got!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bello35

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

We all know that roof racks are very useful but they can also look terrific on an Early Bay :D

Whether they're originals or repros....BeKöWa's, Westy's, HWE's, VW's or universal ones...or even if you've made one yourself...please show it here!

And, of course, if there's a nice story to tell about it (where found, price paid, imaginative usage, smashed into a barrier, built a higher garage, etc) all the better 8)

Sorry, i don't have a roof rack myself to give my own contribution but i'm looking forward to seeing yours to get ideas :lol:

Cheers.

This is a very nice looking rack :shock:

Either you take tons of stuff or you have a two month holidays :lol:

Seems to be a full length BeKöwA with HWE style clamps. Am i right?
It matches perfectly the bumpers.....are they painted in the same colour?
Beautiful ;)

Keep them coming!!!

Cheers.

Since photo i have welded a front wheel mount onto mine so i dont have to strap my spare on
Have a fairly large solar panel to mount up there also
The rack i bought on ebay was huge cut a good 600mm out of it to narrow it

Wow! That's what we call an "industrial" roof rack. Bullet proof and very heavy :D
The same can be said for the tyres...are you planning to take part in the next Paris-Dakar? :msn4:
Good job with the ladder...have you made it yourself?

Thanks mate!

Mine at a mates wedding last year, im all about the 3 bow 2 bow combo, looks the best imo :mrgreen:

easy said:
Mine at a mates wedding last year, im all about the 3 bow 2 bow combo, looks the best imo :mrgreen:

Nice one easy. Looks fab! Especialy when the bus is lowered... 8)

IMO, a 3 bow 2 bow combo suits best an early bay bus/camper like yours whereas a full lengh or 3/4 "commercial" rack would look nicer on a panel van for example...
I also like the 3 bow only at the back :D

Cheers!

bello35 said:
Wow! That's what we call an "industrial" roof rack. Bullet proof and very heavy :D
The same can be said for the tyres...are you planning to take part in the next Paris-Dakar? :msn4:

Thanks mate!
Yea pretty big i might make a few more changes to i yet,
Tbh its not actually that heavy i put it up there myself and im pretty small
Yea the it had 4 of the rear size on it
And i bought a 58 beetle and it had the front brand new tyres on it so ideal for the lifted bus
Yes built the ladder myself just gotta make a mount on the side of the rack for it

n0rthernm0nkey said:
easy said:

That is a damn lovely ride mate, love it!

Cheers dooder :mrgreen: 8)

bello35 said:
easy said:

Nice one easy. Looks fab! Especialy when the bus is lowered... 8)

IMO, a 3 bow 2 bow combo suits best an early bay bus/camper like yours whereas a full lengh or 3/4 "commercial" rack would look nicer on a panel van for example...
I also like the 3 bow only at the back :D

Cheers!

Cheers dood :mrgreen: i totally agree

Another three bow, two bow combo. Although i'm a fan of the more industrial racks i'm not convinced they'd suit the bus. These came with the van when i bought it and we use them every time we go camping. Wouldn't be able to cope without them. I tend to stick the tent, beds, chairs etc on them to still give us room to move in the bus on the journey.

Great looking bus!

I'm also a fan of commercial roof racks... ;)

But let's put it this way: Your bus is a deluxe so lot's of chrome trimmings...chrome Westy style racks can only look great on your bay mate! :mrgreen:

But imagine this same Savannah beige bus, non deluxe (kombi), with a industrial rack painted cloud white like the top and the bumpers...sweet!!!

easy said:
n0rthernm0nkey said:
easy said:

That is a damn lovely ride mate, love it!

Cheers dooder :mrgreen: 8)

Total thread hijack, but do you mind me asking what the ride quality is like at that height? Im looking at sticking 15" wheels on mine and lowering a bit but the Mrs doesnt want it so low that it rubs or bangs on speed bumps (like my 58 panel does!).

markevo30 said:
Another three bow, two bow combo. Although i'm a fan of the more industrial racks i'm not convinced they'd suit the bus. These came with the bus when i bought it and we use them every time we go camping. Wouldn't be able to cope without them. I tend to stick the tent, beds, chairs etc on them to still give us roof to move in the bus on the journey.

Aww man, another sweet savannah beige! Nice ride fella! I want one of those safari's in the rear of mine at some point.

Total thread hijack, but do you mind me asking what the ride quality is like at that height? Im looking at sticking 15" wheels on mine and lowering a bit but the Mrs doesnt want it so low that it rubs or bangs on speed bumps (like my 58 panel does!).[/quote]

Rides like a dream dood, creative weedeater on the front with dropped spindles and coilovers, adjustable springplates on the back with adjustable gaz shocks. Up front i have some slight tubs under the front seats, no rubbing at all even fully loaded with racks and 2 people. Perfick :mrgreen:

lil_azza said:
bello35 said:

Thanks mate!
Yea pretty big i might make a few more changes to i yet,
Tbh its not actually that heavy i put it up there myself and im pretty small
Yea the it had 4 of the rear size on it
And i bought a 58 beetle and it had the front brand new tyres on it so ideal for the lifted bus
Yes built the ladder myself just gotta make a mount on the side of the rack for it

It's always nice to have the skills and the tools to improve or even make your own parts 8)
Keep the good work ;)

Very nice bus Harlequin! Lot's of cool stuff on the racks. The Jerrycans are great! Mind you, you can load them to the max...you have the engine to compensate the drag ;)

Yes, racks look good close to the roof. Sometimes they stand too tall especialy those meant for split vans ,which have a more "doomed" roof, when fitted on the "flatter" roof of bays.

Cheers!

I got this full length one when i bought my van , it was made in Portugal , is very heavy galvanised steel

592d93b5-9d50-4800-949e-3036931f0c14_zpsu9mkmj6h.jpg

Latest posts