Sand blasting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currylager

Reaction score
Has anyone used a sand blasting kit on their bus??. I have some rusy areas which are not fully accessible and was wondering if it was worth buying one of these kits for around £50 to clean them prior to painting , Anyone had any experiences???? :roll:

currylager said:
Has anyone used a sand blasting kit on their bus??. I have some rusy areas which are not fully accessible and was wondering if it was worth buying one of these kits for around £50 to clean them prior to painting , Anyone had any experiences???? :roll:
I thought about a sand blasting kit but ended up kopping out & attacked rust scabs with a wire wheel on a high revving drill.

I wouldnt mind spending out if they were any good :roll: I'm hoping to get the bus painted this winter and there is a lot of crap under the gutters and where the door seals fit etc. I guess i'll have to take a risk and buy one :wink:

Drop Rustylee a pm (hereford) as he used one on his split, the one thing you need to remember is to get all the sand/shot out or it cause problems in the future.

Was looking at a sand blasting gun in Halfords earlier, think it depends if you intend going for a bare metal re-spray or just a blow over

frost do a 'soda' (bicarbonate) kit with a free standing drum, a little more expensive but guaranteed not to warp and can also be used on fiberglass pop tops without damage.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9531&frostProductName=Eastwood+Soda+Blaster+&catID=37&subCatID=&FrostCat=NewProducts&FrostSubcat=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXpeL0n1Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looks pretty easy to use.

So where can you get a DIY sand blasting kit from then? :eek:

I used to work at a Diesel Locomotive repair workshop and they had a sand blaster that was really 'the business' (as you can image for trains) if you weren't carefull,it would blow holes in anything - great for bumper irons and wheels :D no good for early bay front grilles - it decimated it ! lol :oops:

There is nothing else like a sandblast to get crud out of detailed areas, I've used wire wheels and they can't touch a sand blast!

Sandblaster kit from MachineMart, they have a range of media particles to use with it

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cl-csb10-sandblaster/path/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got mine for about £12 I think from a show very basic gun and tube with probe, got another one with bottle from Aldi.

Not super powerful but will tidy out rust spots etc, did bay chassis yesterday with one, beware even with a small compressor ts very messy and you will be finding media in your hair etc for days

Johnny said:
frost do a 'soda' (bicarbonate) kit with a free standing drum, a little more expensive but guaranteed not to warp and can also be used on fiberglass pop tops without damage.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9531&frostProductName=Eastwood+Soda+Blaster+&catID=37&subCatID=&FrostCat=NewProducts&FrostSubcat=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXpeL0n1Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looks pretty easy to use.
Ive been wondering about getting one of these myself but just listened to vid and says soda blaster doesnt destroy rust but it can be converted to use other media!

Havent heard from anyone over here whos used one yet though as not been available at Frosts for long

I have one of those 'pot' blasters frost are selling...its exactly the same and except i i dont use soda in it and its not from Frost. i dont see whats different about the Soda blaster over my 'sand blaster' as the principle is exactly the same - the only difference i canthink is thy use a smaller nozzle??!! Seems like frost overpricing stuff again by rebranding it if you ask me!

Anyway...I did the whole of the underside of my van with the pot blaster and it id a fantastic job getting in areas you just cant reach with wire brush etc. it even took of areas of underseal. For media i used kiln dried sand from B&Q - £3 for 25kg. (i know silicosis etc but i wore a spraying mask and read a lot about it before...and since it seems that you need prolonged exposure i figured I would run the gauntlet!! )

So - yes pot balsters great (you need a decent size compressor) and can take a bit of fiddling to get flow right. In terms of the result - its excellent - although messy - sand everywhere! see pic..thats not painted..its raw blasted metal. note sand on floor!
P1010076.JPG

meant I could get the underside like this...etched and seam sealed.
RB_Underneath.jpg

If anyones interested i could be persuaded to sell my sand blaster as i dont use it anymore - in good nick having been used only for the job on my van. £75 would do it.
mail me [email protected]

Been looking into the soda blasting and the difference is the valve on the bottom. Believe it or not Frost arent actually making much on this product at all, its £190 direct from Eastwoods and then you have shipping and tax etc.

I have found the same blaster for free with 8 bags of grit collect from Birmingham works out just under £100,other places are selling the pot for £80 plus £20 postage.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=21411&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1310&iSubCat=1626&iProductID=21411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p33485.jpg

The retro fit kit comes in 3/8" or 1/2 " sizes.

prolonged use of soda will need a cooler and water estravtor as te powder is obviously very porous.

Imlooking at industrial solutions at theminute and cheapest complete system with generator, cooler, hopper and trailer is around £11500 plus VAT.

Think Im gonna head down to Birmingham and get myself two small pots for now though as the media alone pays for it

I bought a sealey sand blasting kit off Ebay, it was a local supplier so i didnt have to pay postage. The kit consists of a Grit container which is about the size of a watering can which is coupled to the blasting gun via 3 metres of hose. The kit included a 25kg bag of grit and cost about £50, the airline connects to the gun as well as the grit hose, pull the trigger and off you go. The performance is excellent and i will be be using it to blast all the paint and crap out of the gutters, window apertures and where the tailgate and sliding door seals fit :D . Once you have finished blasting it is possible to sweep up the debris and sieve out the paint flakes etc and re-use the grit. Money well spent 8)

Latest posts