Scotland Road Trip (lots of pics)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pk1was

Reaction score
We have returned from our week in Scotland, we covered 1153 miles in total and took in some great places along the way, the van ran faultlessly all the way apart from two minor scares, which were caused by a massive bee entering the front of the van which resulted in Mrs pk1was ripping the window winder off in panic, and a bit of a spluttering engine coming down the "Balach Na Ba" pass leaving Applecross heading for Skye. The weather was fantastic, we only saw an hour of rain at Glen Brittle and it rained when we left for home at Loch Lomond.

Scotland is a stunning place and i would recommend everyone to go there, the only negative point is the midges. we had every spray known to man, and still they were all over us, i got about 40 bites on my head, legs, hands, arse, everywhere. As the photos will testify the scenery is unreal, you could be anywhere in the world, anyway enough babble i will let the photos do the talking.

This was our first night, a stop over at The Quiet Site, Ullswater to set us up for the big drive in to Scotland the following day
IMG_1142.jpg

We then stopped a night at Red Squirrel Campsite at Glencoe, the facilities were basic and the site was heaving due to the bank holiday, its geared up mainly fo hikers, climbers etc but we had a good night, although it did get a bit messy :lol:
IMG_1154.jpg

It was back on the road from there on to Drumnadrochit and Loch Ness, some of the scenery along here was impressive
IMG_1163.jpg

and when we arrived it was scorching weather
IMG_1172.jpg

so it was off to the pub :D
IMG_1178.jpg

We had another top night at Loch Ness and then it was on to Applecross. I cannot tell you how stunning this place is, the road in to Applecross around the coast is simply stunning and is relatively an empty road, if you break down here your stumped, no phone signal, nothing there :shock:
IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Another thing what you will notice about Scotland is that it doesnt go dark till about midnight, this was taken at about 11pm

IMG_0403.jpg

The UK's only 24hr unmanned petrol station

IMG_0407.jpg

Did you drive thru lakes on the way up? Might have seen you, didn't wave as I'd have been on my pushbike or the work Nissan serena(which is even slower than a bay).
Nice photos by the way.

From Applecross we headed to Skye and decided to brave the "Balach Na Ba" road, if i said it was steep it would be an understatement, not only is it steep it is long, so an upwards journey i would say is definately off the radar for an old fully loaded Van

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

view from the top of the road before the ominous descent

IMG_1235.jpg

Made it to the bottom, brakes smoking and engine misbehaving but made it :D

IMG_1261.jpg

Looks like a challenge on par with Hardnott and Wrynose passes in Cumbria, my T4 made it no problem with 4 kids and all our camping gear but the kids were terrified that we were going to fall off the edge of the world :shock: Definately wouldn't try it in our bay.

We carried on to Skye after Applecross and went through Plockton, Wainwright used to holiday there every year with his wife and we can see why, it is also the scene of the filming of "Wicker Man"

IMG_0411.jpg

We had lunch and then headed off to Glen Brittle campsite on Skye, it was a grueling drive as fatigue was by this time kicking in, but again when we arrived it was worth it, we were here for 2 nights so it was party night and we went a bit mental

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

A mountain walk sorted out the hangover

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

After 2 nights it was the road home, just 1 more night at Loch Lomond, we stayed at Beinglas Farm, which had a pub/restaurant on site and a pub about 300 yards up the road, the midges were out in force here and it was unbearable at times, we packed up and left before 9am the following day and drove 245 miles home,

and yes it was raining :(

IMG_0438.jpg

An epic trip which will live long in the memory, it has to be one of the nicest places i have ever visited.

Great story and pics :) - Thanks for sharing.

Been to those places in my old bay back in the 1970's - you brought back lots of memories - I may go and have another look in the next few years.

By the way, your 1600 bay is perfectly capable of doing that pass and hardknot too. Did them loaded with all the gear and four adults back then.

The gearing in first is so low that when I tested mine on the tank testing slope at Aldershot, it did not stall, it stopped half way up the 1 in 1 (45 degrees) with smoking wheelspin :lol:

Great pics, very inspiring!

I fricking love your bus by the way! How is it lowered if you don't mind me asking??

Brill, Think we'll have to start going up instead of down. Was the trip mainly driving ? might have to wait till the kids are a bit older first

dubscum

we drove on average 100 miles a day, apart from once which was about 175 miles. It wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, the A roads in scotland are good even for a lowered bus, some of the B roads are a bit dodgy but we had no problem. We finished with a 250 mile drive home from Loch Lomond to Manchester

Latest posts