Seat advice?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do about my front seats.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

They are the original seats so have seen 39 years of wear and tear. The springs seem to have lost their springiness somewhat and I know there is definitely at least one spring broken on the passenger side. Also, there are 3 or 4 pretty big rips in the covers.

When I sit on the edge of the seat (typically when getting in or out), it just flattens...is this normal?

Just wondering what my options are, and what companies I could deal with. If I just get them recovered, will I not just end up with nice-looking seats, but still uncomfortable because of the duff springs?

Thanks!!

All the usual dealers sell rebuil kits and tools it just takes a little time and patience, new horse hair and wadding and shiney new covers, wont be awfully cheap but theyll last another 20 years at least. :D

Very comfy and look good to boot.

Or buy replacement modern alternatives.

Little concerned for you looks like you've been taking those chalk enimas :lol:

Avoid foam for sure. It will start to conform after a while, and lose its elastic properties, especially if it gets heavy use and will be really uncomfortable like sitting on springs. keep it horse hair if you can.

If you've broken springs (and possibly the frame edge) it might be worth finding a solid pair and refurbing those instead - loads of modern seats with without too much hassle though, if you shop around you could find a set of electric & heated Saab seats for under £100!!!

;)

This guy did a great job and was reasonable for a pair of front seats a couple of years ago. Took my old frames in exchange, though if you left yours there he'd do them on those. Not sure how much he'd charge now but worth a ring? Used proper horse hair and had loads of materials to choose from - his son's in the vw scene, hence he started to do them :)

http://www.evanstrim.co.uk/

Cheers for that lead Kopperdrake, thats just down the road from my the paintshop where my van is at the moment, shall drop in there for a chat :D

definately get em re trimmed and sprung, thats what i did and they are good to go, sometimes get a bit sea sick as they are very bouncy :shock: :wink:

Latest posts